Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this all started about five months ago and has gotten progressively worse. About once every week or so when I shut off the jeep it seems as if the battery just dies instantly. This last time the jeep was not off for more than a min and boom battery dead it gets about half a crank and then nothing. Also it wont jump start once it dies the only way to start it is to push start it which is getting pretty old. What has been replaced so far battery, starter, and the altonator. Any ideas on what it could be jeep runs great besides this one little thing

·
Registered
157 Posts
It sounds like you have a bad ground and probably more specifically a ground short where the battery hot is contacting ground and shorting out the battery. Since it is a huge loss of power I would check the larger cables - like the battery cables or the large gauge cable going down to the starter and ground from the battery.

I had a similar issue when I first had my jeep and mine was an accessory batter for the stereo that had gone bad (when a battery goes bad sometimes the plates break and short out).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I've checked all the connections on the cables but i will inspect the condition of the insulation and everything once I get home... Or I might just grab some cable and replace them all thanks for the reply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts