Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
So I have minor problem with my wrangler's soft top. It seems to not fit flush with the brackets. I've had this replacement soft top since last summer and when installed the fit was not flush right off the bat. So, I am pretty sure the heat has not warped the sides. Am i missing something? is there some sort of way to attach the small plastic outline under the fabric to the brackets? Anyone else have this experience with a replacement top

Attachments

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Is that an OEM top or aftermarket? I've never seen one that looks like that at the front where it meets the windshield. It also looks like the door surrounds are wrong for that top.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
The 08-09 soft tops are different. The sides tuck into the drip rails at the top of the doors. The top must be used with the door hardware that came with the top. The later soft tops use a cable that tensions the soft top to the rail without tucking it in.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yeah. Looks like the wrong door surrounds. Also the prior owner may have had to replace the header with an aftermarket. My original 07 top had a warped header before I replaced it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am pretty sure the soft top and hardware is aftermarket. But Ahhh, what a shame. I'm assuming the previous owner either replaced it with the wrong soft top or wrong hardware because this is what it came with. I'm a fairly new jeep owner so when I purchased this jeep I didn't know any better. The hard top was on in the first place as well.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. So clearly the hardware set and the soft top aren't compatible, though it still fits decently and there has never been leaks. I'm thinking, would the best solution be replacing the door surrounds with the 08-09 door surrounds? I think I could sell the current ones I have and put the money towards buying the proper ones.

however, do you guys think it would fit with the current header I have? My worry is that it won't, since the header piece is designed to be with the current door surrounds I have on.

here are some door surrounds i found that (i think) are the compatible ones. Would greatly appreciate if someone could clarify if I'm making the right purchase:

www.quadratec.com/products/11132_96...Q3VduhBCduDo2V3Q6ydlNb-lbWrCIe0C-gxoCUPvw_wcB

2007-2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 4 Door Soft Top Door Surround Kit New OEM | eBay

Jeep Wrangler unlimited FOR BOWLESS FRAMELESS TOPS DOOR SURROUNDS & KNOBS 61098 | eBay

again, thanks alot fellas.

·
Registered
171 Posts
you have the new style door surrounds(2010+) with a 07-09 top. you can convert new style surrounds into the old ones by removing the plastic strip. use some pliers to remove the staples holding them in, pull the strip out, then the top should clip into the door surrounds. Just saved you some $$$. Keep the strip in case you want to switch over to the new style top, just make sure you bow assembly has the spot to hook up the spring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thank you so much

you have the new style door surrounds(2010+) with a 07-09 top. you can convert new style surrounds into the old ones by removing the plastic strip. use some pliers to remove the staples holding them in, pull the strip out, then the top should clip into the door surrounds. Just saved you some $$$. Keep the strip in case you want to switch over to the new style top, just make sure you bow assembly has the spot to hook up the spring.
Thank you for this advice. You really did save me the hassle and money!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts