Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the jeep family, so I have a question about the 4 wheel dr. We bought a 2011 Jeep wrangler last July for my wife to use on a mail route.

This weekend I put it in four wheel drive high it drives fine going straight but on a parking lot doing figure 8's it wont hardly turn, is this normal? I would think that it should do the figure 8' with no problem.

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Not made for dry pavement.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
tcspeer said:
I am new to the jeep family, so I have a question about the 4 wheel dr. We bought a 2011 Jeep wrangler last July for my wife to use on a mail route.

This weekend I put it in four wheel drive high it drives fine going straight but on a parking lot doing figure 8's it wont hardly turn, is this normal? I would think that it should do the figure 8' with no problem.
Yeah it's not like a normal SUV where you can drive on dry pavement in 4x4. If you do, eventually you will break the front U-joints. Only use it in snow and loose surfaces like dirt sand rocks

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts

You can tear it up driving on dry pavement in 4H, much less doing figure 8's in a parking lot. 4wd is for mud, sand, snow, etc...when the wheels cannot get good traction. :thumb:

·
Administrator
41,902 Posts
That's normal.
There are guys with more technical expertise than me that I am sure can explain it better. Your Jeep is used to steering with no power to the front wheels, when you engage the drive it doesn't like to make sharp turns at speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for such a quick reply, We are used to a Subaru all wheel drive and it is smooth even in the figure 8 turns.

Couple of more questions brake jobs are very common on vehicles used on mail routes. On our Subaru the front pistons on the calipers just pushed back in with a C- clamp is this the same for the jeep are do they screw back in?

Also on the back brakes I had drums on the Subaru I have never done rear brakes with calipers, my concern is the E- brake any tricks I need to know.

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
The E-break is separate it's called a drum-in-hat break, its a drum break inside the rotor for the disk break. The breaks will swap out the same as the front, the shoes for the E-break shouldn't need to changed that often. Don't forget to leave the E-break off when changing the rear or you will never get the rotor off.
Welcome, congrats on the Jeep, don't forget to :wavey:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, very helpful advise, thanks MTH good link. I did not force the issue with trying to drive figure 8's, it was easy to tell it would tear something up so I stopped that right away.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 2011 2 door and when i try to put it in 4low it is real hard to engage.It goes in 4 high pretty easy.I tried it sitting still and moving forward.When sitting still i have it in neutral.Does anybody have this problem.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
You need to pull straight up into 4lo in one motion. Don't pause in neutral. It just takes a firm, steady pull to get there.

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
Thanks for such a quick reply, We are used to a Subaru all wheel drive and it is smooth even in the figure 8 turns.

Couple of more questions brake jobs are very common on vehicles used on mail routes. On our Subaru the front pistons on the calipers just pushed back in with a C- clamp is this the same for the jeep are do they screw back in?

Also on the back brakes I had drums on the Subaru I have never done rear brakes with calipers, my concern is the E- brake any tricks I need to know.
Just found this.
JK-Adventure.com How To: Changing your Jeep JK Brake Pads - YouTube

1 - 20 of 27 Posts