Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the hubby ok'd the purchase of a new Jeep, but...now he's starting to back out on the deal (I didn't question the purchase of a Mazda Miata & the deal was made that when it was my turn I could pick what I wanted (Jeep). He' thinking that because I'm not getting power door locks or windows that it will affect the insurance (raise it beyond belief) and the fact that this will be the primary car in our fleet of 2. Question is...Will the purchase of the Jeep skyrocket my rates or is he worrying that I'll have a cooler car than him? (by the way, I still carry full coverage on the Vue)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine raised our rate around $200 every 6 months. (no power on windows and locks)

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Why don't you contact your insurance company and obtain a quote on the type of Jeep you're interested in regarding coverage, deductibles, etc., instead of trying to guess that it might be high. What I can tell you is that it's not based upon whether you have power windows and locks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quite the contrary. Jeeps are VERY cheap to insure.

I traded in a 2001 Olds Alero with 125K on the clock to get my 2010 JK, also without power goodies. Insurance went up one whole dollar a month :D

ETA: After reading the other posts, I suspect that's because I'm in a winter climate and they really value 4WD up here. San Antonio obviously won't be so lucky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The JK was listed in the top ten safest vehicles in America according to my insurance. Mine went down considerably...but then again I did trade off a Subaru STi.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
my agent told me she could put my Ram pickup on 'farm use-low miles' status and give me full JKU coverage for $34/month more and cover both!!! Seemed like a DEAL.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Mine went down a little but I went from a mustang to a jeep. But also rates are partially based on the size of your county according to USAA reps along with the type of car driving record etc. I pay about $90 a month for full coverage and a $500 deductible

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Yep, check with your agent. They'll tell you exactly how your rates will be affected. Power locks, etc, shouldn't have anything to do with it, it's age of the vehicle, and stuff...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Def, check with an agent. My I changed my policy for more coverage and went from a 2003 Mercedes to my 2011 JK and coverage went down about 50 bucks per 6 months.... Id say he is jealous.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi.
I just traded my 2006 Honda Pilot for a New 2011 JK Sahara (fully loaded). I was a bit concerned about my rates going up as well. I have a very clean record (knock on wood), nothing at all for years now. I called my Insurance company from the Stealership and was pleasantly surprised. My premium went up $83 for the year. Thats very impressive for a Brand new car that is 5 years newer and has a higher sticker price.
Also, you will for sure have a cooler car than him, no question.

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Linda's right. Power options have ZERO affect on rates. The things that affect rates are belts and bags. I went from a Malibu that had power everything to a 2 door JK with manual windows and locks. My insurance dropped.

When you talk to your insurance agent, be sure to compare the price against the Miata. I'm betting it'll be lower.

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
I went from an 08 Malibu to an 87 jeep my rates were like half what they were! :D I know not nearly the same as your case.....

·
Registered
534 Posts
I went from a 2000 AWD Mountaineer with power everything to a '05 TJ with power nothing. Rate went up roughly 10 bucks every 6 months for same (full) coverage. Power windows and locks have nothing to do with rates. It's all statistics of repair costs, how many get stolen, and how well the vehicle does in a crash.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have four vehicles on my policy and the Jeep is the most expensive. Part of the cost is that it’s the most expensive vehicle on the policy, the other part is that I’ve got it covered for my upgrades and off-road damage.

Assuming you are planning on taking your Jeep off-road and/or want to make some mods, I would suggest asking your Insurance Agent (and verifying with the Underwriter) if they’ll cover off-road damages, and how they handle upgrades. I’ve been perfectly honest with several companies, and some will not insure for off-roading, some will not insure if you have certain modifications, and some will not cover add-ons. A lot of the Agents don’t honestly know, but the Underwriters do.

·
Registered
991 Posts
My insurance only went up about $20 for 6 months. and I went from a 4 Wheel drive 2003 4door Ranger to a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited.. I thought that wasn't too bad..

·
Registered
401 Posts
Sounds like he is seriously jealous of your soon to be new awesome ride! If it takes getting the power window and door lock package, then get it! Heck throw in the remote starter, it doesn't matter, none of that stuff takes away from the fun of the jeep!

Just so you know, he is going to be 1000X more jealous the first time he rides in it and you got the doors completely removed so the power package doesn't matter anyways!

·
The Bad Guy
23,233 Posts
Not to mention when the guy Jeep drivers wave.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My insurance went up $16 for the year when I went from a base model 2007 jku to a fully loaded 2011 rubi. State farm rocks!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts