Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pleased to present my Jeep Wrangler JK Aftermarket Knuckle Comparison. I compiled as much information as I could find on the Reid, Teraflex, and Rancho steering knuckles. Let me know if I made any mistakes or if you can help me fill in any missing info. Attachments are JPG and PDF.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
One thing that should be mentioned is the Reid and Tera are made from ductile iron. The rancho from steel. Not sure which is better..?

Flash

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing that should be mentioned is the Reid and Tera are made from ductile iron. The rancho from steel. Not sure which is better..?

Flash
It's probably just wording/semantics. Steel is iron with carbon; ductile iron has graphite. Both have other ingredients to form their alloys, reduce brittleness, increase strength. For all intents and purposes, these cast parts are likely similar in material performance.

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Looking at high steer knuckles now. Any recommendations on which is the best out of these 3? Teraflex is probably out if I need 4" of lift. I have the Mopar 2" lift which really netted me closer to 3". I can also add a 1"spacer lift if it will help.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
Looking at high steer knuckles now. Any recommendations on which is the best out of these 3? Teraflex is probably out if I need 4" of lift. I have the Mopar 2" lift which really netted me closer to 3". I can also add a 1"spacer lift if it will help.
I don't know if it's the "best" of the 3, but I have a 4.5" lift and have the Reid's. I've had them over a year now and I'm very happy with them. I really wanted to get my tie rod up higher after having to replace it. When I added the PSC steering I really just wanted everything up as high as possible to protect it a little more. So far, so good :) The fact they match, well that was just a bonus, lol.

Lisa

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went with the Rancho knuckles and have been driving on them for about a year. No problems with the knuckles. I have actually had lots of other problems with steering components. I had very thick diff covers from Great Lake Offroad. The tie rod hit the diff cover at full left turn since the tie rod was now directly across the middle of the diff cover at it's thickest part. And at full right turn the tie rod hit the steering stabilizer bolt on the aftermarket track bar bracket. I should have just gotten a thinner diff cover and changed my track bar bracket to the Rancho. I ended up getting another diff cover (Ballistic Fabrication, very highly recommended) and the Rock Krawler tie rod with more clearance to the diff cover but it is also 1.75" diameter which created other problems. The wheels then hit the tie rod at full lock both directions. So I put on spacers which I didn't want to do. Then I got new beadlock wheels which had a little more offset so I didn't need the spacers. But I still haven't ground down the steering stops on the knuckles to increase the turning and I'm not sure I should. Anyway, overall, finally happy with the steering components after a year. Went on the Rubicon again this year in July and nothing touched the tie rod which is way above the axle. Trying to figure out a new steering stabilizer mount on the big tie rod. If you are thinking about going with a high steer knuckle, my recommendation is to plan the whole thing out before you buy anything. Think about the problems it might create and what you will have to do to solve them.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I went with the Rancho knuckles and have been driving on them for about a year. No problems with the knuckles. I have actually had lots of other problems with steering components. I had very thick diff covers from Great Lake Offroad. The tie rod hit the diff cover at full left turn since the tie rod was now directly across the middle of the diff cover at it's thickest part. And at full right turn the tie rod hit the steering stabilizer bolt on the aftermarket track bar bracket. I should have just gotten a thinner diff cover and changed my track bar bracket to the Rancho. I ended up getting another diff cover (Ballistic Fabrication, very highly recommended) and the Rock Krawler tie rod with more clearance to the diff cover but it is also 1.75" diameter which created other problems. The wheels then hit the tie rod at full lock both directions. So I put on spacers which I didn't want to do. Then I got new beadlock wheels which had a little more offset so I didn't need the spacers. But I still haven't ground down the steering stops on the knuckles to increase the turning and I'm not sure I should. Anyway, overall, finally happy with the steering components after a year. Went on the Rubicon again this year in July and nothing touched the tie rod which is way above the axle. Trying to figure out a new steering stabilizer mount on the big tie rod. If you are thinking about going with a high steer knuckle, my recommendation is to plan the whole thing out before you buy anything. Think about the problems it might create and what you will have to do to solve them.
Oh wow, I'm glad I didn't have any issues with anything rubbing or hitting at all or my husband would have had a fit! When I put the Reid's on I replaced the front axle with a ProRock 44, installed Black Magic BBK, RCV's and PSC hydro assist. I also put new wheels and tires since I was going to 37's, so backspacing was different than previous 35's.

The one issue I had was my tie rod had to be shortened just a tiny bit. But it was only temporary as I had a Yeti on order. That installed simply after everything else was done. I still want to swap out my track bar and drag link, fingers crossed and a few prayers no issues arise with that.

Lisa

·
Registered
28 Posts
@Toby Vanderbeek might want to update your "JK Aftermarket Knuckle Comparison.pdf " as the Rancho knuckles do not reuse the factory steering stop bolts. They need to be ground down to adjust them like the Reid ones, or you can cut off the stop and drill and tap it to reuse the stock bolts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts