Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've managed to pick up a chassis and tub from a 2006 TJ that was in a rollover. The main impact of the rollover was taken by the front guards, bonnet and windscreen surround. There are a couple dings around the rear guards but nothing to worry about.

This weekend I've taken the body off, which I managed to lift all by Myself, and started stripping down the chassis.

I've decided to use the original chassis as I've a spare set of ORV suspension that'll I'll use and it seems easier than starting from scratch. It's the Rugged Ridge 2" lift as I've gone to the 4" on the Jeep. It'll run 33" on this lift for the purpose of a trailer but I'll fit a 1.25" body lift to be safe. I'll also be fitting the Rugged Ridge lower control arms and springs.

All I need to pick up is a rear axle. I'll either find an 8.8 and use the current D44 from my Jeep or just pick up a spare D44. I'm also toying with the idea of putting a D44 in the front of the Jeep and using that axle on the Jeep. It's a bit of work though with the mounting points so that might be phase 3 or 4. I'll have the initial phase axle dilemma sorted in the next couple of weeks though.

Initial work on the chassis is a new cross brace. I've cut a length of 100mm x 50mm (4" x 2") box section steel. The chassis is 100mm x 65mm so it's damn close. This is going to be welded in forward of the rear axle just in front of the lower control arm mounts.

Once this cross brace is in place I will cut the front of the chassis and then relieve in front of the cross member. Then it's a case of stropping the front end and winching the two sides together to make the front triangle for hitching. It's going to be getting a full articulating hitch.

For the tub I am still undecided on whether to get another and joing two back to back at the apex of the wheel arch for symmetry. I'll get the base built first though and then decide.

More to come over the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
trailer projects are so satisfying and practical!

Will be looking for updates, thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Makes my Jeep chassis look tired and I've still got degreaser and Hammerite left. Seriously considering giving it a freshen up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep. Going to cut the tub at the forward mount from the wheel arch and put the same radius as at the back and flat sheet across. Going to go with a shock lift tread plate cover for it. Will have some water and fuel tank mounts out front. Looking to fit a compressor in the wheel arch and run connection points for air and LPG from the fuel filler hole.

·
Registered
23,974 Posts
Yep. Going to cut the tub at the forward mount from the wheel arch and put the same radius as at the back and flat sheet across. Going to go with a shock lift tread plate cover for it. Will have some water and fuel tank mounts out front. Looking to fit a compressor in the wheel arch and run connection points for air and LPG from the fuel filler hole.
That sounds bad a++..cant wait to see

·
Registered
90 Posts
Awesome build, i've been toying around the idea of doing the same. Hard to find wrecked wranglers in NZ though! nice score!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
phraza said:
Awesome build, i've been toying around the idea of doing the same. Hard to find wrecked wranglers in NZ though! nice score!
Got the body painted underneath yesterday. Axle goes in next week. When you're next in Christchurch let me know and pop around and have a look.

I've an extra body for another build also.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts