Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have 96 jeep xj sport . i took it to a shop to get a front end alignment but was informed my tie rod is welded and frame is bent . i’m fully prepared to get new tie rod and ends but in regards to the frame being bent i’m curious to know the signs to tell how bad it is . it doesn’t pull , snatch shake or anything . doors open and close easy and hood opens and closes easily. the outer tie rod is the one that is welded together . my next question is will i have any issues with the new tie rod fitting? in my mind since the outer tie rod is the one that is welded is it technically shorter ? and with the frame being supposedly bent will i have any issues fitting a new tie rod?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
XJ has a unibody not a frame. We had to weld stiffeners to the unibody to avoid warping the unibody while wheeling. Not sure what you can do at this point to correct the issue.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Bent

How long have you had the JEEP?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just checked for warping . didn’t see anything bent or warped . barely any scratches or abrasions. so maybe it isn’t bent

·
Super Moderator
12,662 Posts
Welcome to the Wrangler Forum frank0919,

Even though this is a Wrangler Forum, we're all off road enthusiasts and I for one am glad to help if I can.
Blort is correct. The XJ is a unibody vehicle. However, as a bodyman we refer to the heavier unibody sections generically as "the frame".

Did the technician point out to you where the frame is bent? On a unibody "frame" there are crumple zones that are designed to bend in a pre-determined way to absorb energy from a crash. It's usually predictable to see these buckles if a technician knows the direction of impact.
I suggest going back to the shop and ask the technician to point out where the frame is bent. Then, take a couple/few good pics and post them here.
You might take the Jeep to a frame shop to get an idea of what repairing the damage might cost. The alignment technician may be mistakenly identifying a crumple zone as a bent frame.

If the frame is in fact bent, the bend might be minor. There might be some adjustment to be made that will be cost effective.

Since you state that the Jeep drives well, the damage might be slight. What concerns me is who would weld a tie rod and why. What other scary "modifications" might the PO have done?

Before I had my YJ I had an XJ. I was a member on the NAXJA forum.

Let us know what you discover and how we can help.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts