Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem on my YJ the alternator has burned 3 fuses
I replaced the alternator and still facing same problem
I checked the connection and it seems fine .
Any idea what is going on?

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
The alternator has 2, 50 amp fuses in the power distribution center, is it burning both fuses or only one?

·
Registered
705 Posts
First fuse is an anomaly. Time for wiring diagrams and multi meter. Something going to ground. Take your time. Try a slow visual inspection. YJ doesn't have many wires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First fuse is an anomaly. Time for wiring diagrams and multi meter. Something going to ground. Take your time. Try a slow visual inspection. YJ doesn't have many wires.
I checked the wiring and it there was no sign of short to ground
I replaced the alternator wiring and modify it with a voltage regulator and it works fine.
But the question why did this happen?

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
It has one fuse 60 amps

What year YJ is this? The 91-95 YJ's with the fuse box in front of the battery have 2 separate 50 amp fuses. If some previous owner pulled one of them then the system was only operating on 1 fuse and that would cause it to blow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What year YJ is this? The 91-95 YJ's with the fuse box in front of the battery have 2 separate 50 amp fuses. If some previous owner pulled one of them then the system was only operating on 1 fuse and that would cause it to blow.
I got you
I’ve checked them both
The 1st one is fine
The second one (ALT PWR2) was burned many times.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I got you
I’ve checked them both
The 1st one is fine
The second one (ALT PWR2) was burned many times.

Well i upgraded my charging system and eliminated the charge cable running through the PDC completely. I ran heavy gauge cable off the + terminal on the alternator and ran it to a 150 amp fuse on the fender then straight to the + post on the battery. I upped the fuse amperage because i upgraded the alternator to a 120 amp.

The factory wire coming off the alternator goes into connector and they are somewhat known for going bad. But the really bad part is where that red wire splits off into 2 smaller wires which go into the PDC box to the 2, 50 amp fuses. When the main wire splits off they are just taped together from the factory it's not a good connection to begin with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well i upgraded my charging system and eliminated the charge cable running through the PDC completely. I ran heavy gauge cable off the + terminal on the alternator and ran it to a 150 amp fuse on the fender then straight to the + post on the battery. I upped the fuse amperage because i upgraded the alternator to a 120 amp.

The factory wire coming off the alternator goes into connector and they are somewhat known for going bad. But the really bad part is where that red wire splits off into 2 smaller wires which go into the PDC box to the 2, 50 amp fuses. When the main wire splits off they are just taped together from the factory it's not a good connection to begin with.
So what did you ended up with?
I removed the factory connection from the alternator and I modified it with a voltage regulator.
So now I put new wire with 60 amps fuse straight to + post and it works fine.
am thinking to upgrade to 136 amps alternator. Do I need to upper the fuse amperage? if I do will it effect my wires?

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I used 2 AWG cable and ran it though a blue sea systems fuse holder straight to the battery using military battery terminals. I replaced all of the charging cables and starter cables and grounds with 2 AWG.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Great job.
What about the PDC will it not effect by the high current?
No, the PDC is still powered by a cable from the + battery post to the side of the PDC just like it was from the factory. The only thing that has changed is that the charging wire is no longer ran though the PDC for fusing since it's now on the fender using only 1 AMG fuse.

You will want to pull the 2 fuses in the PDC when you disconnect it from the alternator because it will have current running though it and if it touches a ground it will spark. I ended up using the old alternator wire to power a post on my fender to power my air compressor, head light relays and whatever else i hook up in the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, the PDC is still powered by a cable from the + battery post to the side of the PDC just like it was from the factory. The only thing that has changed is that the charging wire is no longer ran though the PDC for fusing since it's now on the fender using only 1 AMG fuse.

You will want to pull the 2 fuses in the PDC when you disconnect it from the alternator because it will have current running though it and if it touches a ground it will spark. I ended up using the old alternator wire to power a post on my fender to power my air compressor, head light relays and whatever else i hook up in the future.
Great 👍🏻
I removed the fuses from PDC already and I put new wire same as you did and for the alternator field I put voltage regulator and works great.
the next step will be higher amperage alternator. I hope it works fine.
Thanks for your information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts