Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everybody.

I'm a newer jeep guy and I'm looking to buy my first jeep. I'm really liking yjs and I might have found a really good one.

It's a 1989 YJ 5 speed 4.2. It has 162k miles and looks to have been restored. The guy painted it a weird color, but the jeep looks almost perfect and he says it runs very strong.

I've gotten the price down to $4,500 and have a feeling I can lower it a little more.

I'm wondering if you guys think this is a good buy or not. All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I'd keep shopping for a newer one w a fuel injected 4.0 personally....

Preferably original paint.... a quick bondo, paint, seat covers, and carpet and a junker is suddenly 'restored' there can be a lot of hidden issues

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd keep shopping for a newer one w a fuel injected 4.0 personally....

Preferably original paint.... a quick bondo, paint, seat covers, and carpet and a junker is suddenly 'restored' there can be a lot of hidden issues
I'm going to look at it tomorrow, and I'll check for bondo, rust, and all that stuff. I'll hammer him with questions. He said its never been in an accident or anything so Im hoping for the best. I might do a 4.0 swap eventually.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Not bad looking. Color aint bad, either.

Get some pics of the engine compartment and drivetrain. We can see if the "restoration" continued where it counts.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not bad looking. Color aint bad, either.

Get some pics of the engine compartment and drivetrain. We can see if the "restoration" continued where it counts.
Paint isn't horrible just a little weird. But yeah I'll look at it tomorrow and take some frame pics and some pics under the hood and update the thread

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Well did you look at it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well did you look at it?
yeah I looked at it the exterior and interior are in amazing condition. No rust or rot anywhere at all. It needed a new radiator, a quick fix to the air filter, a tune up, and a new seal on the engine. The guy has his mechanic do all that and put a new radiator on. The engine is in amazing shape. The mechanic said it can run another 200k miles

1 - 8 of 8 Posts