Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi this is not my account my friend is letting me use it to ask some questions but I am looking for a first car and really love jeeps I like the YJ but hear they are a rough ride but I dont like the YJ's interior now my friend has a TJ and I really like his what for you recommend I dont know much on mechanics but I plan on learning how to work on it any advice thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
The CJ series dash(or lack of) made sense. The YJ looks like it came out of a '75 Oldsmobile....if you are ok with that you can get a Jeep relatively cheap. If, not(like me) you will spend a little more on a TJ.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Read up on the differences. It will depend on your needs and budget.

YJ's can be found fairly cheap, but the newest one is still 20 years old. A late model 4.0 fuel injected YJ basically has the same driveline as a TJ, big difference will be leaf springs and interior. Good quality springs can make a world of difference in ride quality.

TJ's will be relatively more expensive due to the newer models. But your still in the 10-20 year old range, so reliability isn't automatically better. Cool suspension will ride better, but more expensive to lift.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Thanks for the advice but ive heard that yj's aren't respected among the jeep community is that true?
They take a fair amount of bashing because of all things the headlights. There are lots of people that think the headlights make or break the jeep.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Depending on your location, the TJ AC unit is also MUCH better. If AC is important, go for a TJ.

Personally, I'd recommend that you only buy a 4.0L Jeep, and stay away from the 4cyl 2.5L. You will find the 2.5L Jeeps much cheaper, but many of us find them underpowered - especially on the highway, in the wind, in the hills. There is a vocal group of 2.5L lovers who will likely now post that they "get 30mpg and can easily go 70mph up a mountain" :)

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
There is a vocal group of 2.5L lovers who will likely now post that they "get 30mpg and can easily go 70mph up a mountain" :)
Only if they have a hurricane force tail wind.

That reminds me of driving back to college to register for my final semester my senior year in my new '65 VW Bug. I had a stiff headwind and those 40 squirrels could only manage 50 MPH (60 MPH zone). A friend and classmate passed me in an older American V-8 and waved. Later coming the other way I now had that stiff tailwind and passed him doing 70 MPH and waved at him.

It may not seem like it but the TJ is actually more aerodynamic (relatively more). The windshield in the TJ has more of a rake, so the full doors and tops from a YJ will not fit on a TJ. Everything fits fine up to the header bar and windshield posts.

Each generation of Jeep (real Jeep) gets a little more refined. The original flat fender is about as refined and a horse and buggy, the CJ is some better, but reflects the 1955 design time frame. Then the YJ followed by the TJ and now JK. I had a '91 soft top and later a '93 hard top then got out of Jeeps in '96. (Boo Hiss time).

When I got into my 2003 TJ on the dealers lot two years ago, I was amazed at the interior comfort and the smoothness of the ride. And this was going to be my occasional driver. If I had seen a similarly clean YJ I doubt I would have given it a second look.

But, if it fits what you want to do, go for it. Keep in mind that unless you really overpay, and you hate it, you won't lose much. Be sure the check the underside for rust, really, really check it. Also if the seller won't give you a CarFax report, pay for one yourself. It will give you an incredible amount of detail not otherwise available. My dealer gives them on all their used vehicles.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Depending on your location, the TJ AC unit is also MUCH better. If AC is important, go for a TJ.

Personally, I'd recommend that you only buy a 4.0L Jeep, and stay away from the 4cyl 2.5L. You will find the 2.5L Jeeps much cheaper, but many of us find them underpowered - especially on the highway, in the wind, in the hills. There is a vocal group of 2.5L lovers who will likely now post that they "get 30mpg and can easily go 70mph up a mountain" :)
This is right on. I drove a 4cyl TJ for 17 years and never got anywhere near 30mpg. Driving on RT 81 with only my wife, I was downshifting way too much. Maybe an automatic would be better? A lot of older Jeeps, especially YJs, may not have AC. Mine TJ didn't. Go for a 4.0L with AC regardless of which model you go with.

·
Supporting Member
2,839 Posts
I've had 1 TJ and 2 YJ's. A decent YJ spring will ride nice actually just as good as a short arm TJ. Soa Yj's ride even better then a sua YJ Me personally I love YJ's. They have never let me down. My TJ was a pos it was in the shop for warranty work all the time. Of the 3 years I had it it was in my possession for a total of 6 months. The YJ community is tight and plenty of knowledge there.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts