Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright you guys, had the jeep for 2 years, put close to 40000 mi on it and have yet to tell its (slowly evolving) story.

Feb 2012- Recieved a brand new black 6-speed manual Jeep Wrangler unlimited with sport S package hard top. With the custom license plate XTRMSKR( extreme skier because life revolves around skiing in my family). Soon after I added a gas cover and floor mats.

April 2012- added black running boards/running boards. Also added Alpine receiver with kicker speakers, mtx dome tweeters, and a clearance bazooka EL sub. Also took the hard top all the way off for the first time.

June 2012: Jeep took its first trip to the U.P. of Michagan relatively stock but still capable on the trails.

November 2012: Added Thule tire carrier bike/ski rack for maximum ski/passenger capacity. Great for a bike rack but horrible as a ski rack thanks to the salt roads of Minnesota Winters.

April 2013: Purchased a Bestop supertop NX because the jeep decided it wanted to feel the wind! -This has seriously been one of the best additions to the jeep.

November 2013: With 25,000mi on the jeep and a few issues with death wobble(see other threads of mine on this, lots of controversy) it was time for new tires. After much time sifting through the forums and debating styles, 16in MB tko with 285-75-r16 (33in) duratracs gave XTRMSKR a new look. Driving in the snow, and overall road handling improved greatly as well as the end of the death wobble era. After 15000 miles I am still impressed with the duratracs in every means.

Nov: 2014 With a year passing and no upgrades, the jeep has just been having good times at the new cabin along with a few trips off the beaten path. Problems in this year period include rewiring of the subwoofer, taking apart the door to fix the handle as it had gotten stuck pushed in, getting a replacement shifter boot, and a rotation of the tires.

New for the jeep in Nov. 2014 is a snowsport HD snowplow with front mount trailer hitch. This became a necessity thanks to the 1/3mi narrow driveway of the new cabin. Let me tell you, this plow works great, its a simple design that gets the job done and is much easier than hauling the tractor w/snowblower and 22ft trailer to the cabin.

CURRENT: So as you can see it has been a slow progression a thing here, a thing there, slowly building what we call the never ending jeep project. With the addition of the plow and plans for a trip out to Colorado in march, the next phase in project XTRMSKR is a lift.

Currently deciding exactly what should happen with these details in mind:
- planning on 2.5in lift
- Focused on ride quality improvement
- want to be able to handle front and rear bumpers along with a winch in the future
- want less sag than stock due to plow
-(unfortunately) 95% on road driving as a DD and road trip vehicle.

So far what I have come down to is the fact that AEV's 2.5in lift with the variable rate springs seems to be my best option given how the jeep is being used. Wanted teraflex but for the price and from my forum research AEV is going to be a better ride for the price.

Now the real question or thought I'm having is the shocks, the AEV package comes with Bilstein 5100s but I'm thinking the adjustability of the Rancho 9000s may be important when considering driving with the plow to the cabin and just having a plow in general or when new bumpers/a winch go on in the future. Also wondering whether i will need a new front track bar?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Looking good, def look at the rancho shocks it's what I have on mine and there nice and smooth , I've been in a jeep with the bilstein shocks and though there def quality there even alittle stiff got me but you can't go wrong with either

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking good, def look at the rancho shocks it's what I have on mine and there nice and smooth , I've been in a jeep with the bilstein shocks and though there def quality there even alittle stiff got me but you can't go wrong with either
So since the AEV lift comes with Bilstein and no option with out it, I may be looking at a different 2.5" kit. How is the ride quality compared to stock with your Rock Crawler setup with rancho 9000. I do a lot of highway driving(60-80mph) with this jeep and am looking for an upgrade in on-road quality as a first priority as a lift with new shocks will definitely improve offroad quality no matter what I do.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
So since the AEV lift comes with Bilstein and no option with out it, I may be looking at a different 2.5" kit. How is the ride quality compared to stock with your Rock Crawler setup with rancho 9000. I do a lot of highway driving(60-80mph) with this jeep and am looking for an upgrade in on-road quality as a first priority as a lift with new shocks will definitely improve offroad quality no matter what I do.
As blue said any of the premium kits will improve the ride imho. But yeah I don't think you can buy the aev lot w/o the bilsteins. Honestly there a good shock just alittle stiff but some people prefer that. I almost bought a aev kit but went for the rk instead because it's alittle more compleate. You can't go wrong with aev, rk, metalcloak, terraflex, ome.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Love the wheel/tire setup. Jeep looks great!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: What about Bumpstops

Rancho 9000XL 31/32's ordered. Going with the rock krawler 2.5 stock mod. Will order when I have the one last question figured out. What bumpstops I need. Does anyone with a 2.5in lift and 33s have any they like better than others? Do the teraflex 2.5 and 2.75 seem like a good option? Are upper stops better than lower stops? Thanks for your help guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts