Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Didn't get any pics of some of the crazier stuff, and didn't get tooo crazy out there on my own...but just got done with a fun road trip up to the Upper Peninsula in Michigan. Was a great time and thought I'd share the pics. At one point we were going to 'take a short cut' through a backroad...which turned out to be a trail...which turned out to be suitable for pretty much only snowmobiles at this time of year. I bombed on down it and the Jeep did great...but after about 30 minutes I checked the GPS and estimated another 3-4 hours at this rate with dark coming in about 45 minutes...so I VERY carefully turned the boat around and made it out alive, haha. Anyways, enjoy the pics, was a great trip!

Upper Peninsula Trip pictures by thewasel - Photobucket

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I just got home yesterday to see all of the snow down here is gone! (I live in the Grand Haven area)

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
Beautiful Pics. Looks like you had a good time.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Lucky, my girlfriend and I were going to do the same thing as a fall tour of the UP and head up towards lake of the clouds but the funds were not there when we needed them. This year for sure though. Never been up there in the winter, I hear its pretty extreme weather wise.

·
Registered
871 Posts
^ nice jeep, Lawn :)

great pics of da UP, yah?. What area was that?

btw, good call on turning around, especially wheeling alone, on stock tires (eegads) with the munchkin along. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^ nice jeep, Lawn :)

great pics of da UP, yah?. What area was that?

btw, good call on turning around, especially wheeling alone, on stock tires (eegads) with the munchkin along. Better safe than sorry.
First few pics from inside the Jeep are along US-2 just a little ways west of the bridge. The next pics where the Jeep is parked is at a park along Superior shoreline in Marquette. The pics where the Jeep is on some dark (stamp) sand is on a beach I know as "Breakers". From Houghton you follow the South side of the portage canal up until the road ends and you are there. The pics of the Jeep out on the beach is a little area North of L'anse where the Huron River ends in Lake Superior. You can get there by following Huron Road until it turns to trail and the trail dumps you out onto the beach, awesome area.

...and yeah, I was getting a bit nervous especially having the family with me when I was on the 'snowmobile' trail. It was fun but I would've felt a lot better if I had a winch and/or another Jeeper with me. My spidey sense said turn this around before you regret it!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Looks good! Do you guys get up there often? Camp, hotels, family/friends?

There is so much good stuff to see/do up in the UP, it's a shame it takes as long as it does to get to be bridge. We usually get up there a few times/year with the Jeep for UPOverland, plus some shorter trips, but we haven't made it up for any winter exploring yet.

If you ever want to get a couple lower peninsula Jeeps together for a trip, I'd be interested. Traveling solo is a bad idea on so many levels.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hadn't been back to the UP since I had graduated from MTU in Dec 2003 and it was long overdue. Getting my new Jeep was enough to inspire me to get back up there. I'd like to get up there when there isn't any snow to do some more wheeling. Maybe we can arrange something later this year.

·
Registered
871 Posts
heck I live near Chicago and I'm interested! (still got family in the thumb)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts