Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently posted about my parents needing convincing for me to get a jeep wrangler, but now I have another problem.... Insurance.

As a teen, will insurance for a Jeep Wrangler be more then a standard car?
I'm a good student with a 4.7 gpa.
I also took drivers Ed.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Many factors come into play here: are you insuring or simply adding the jeep to your parents policy. If the later much cheaper. How old are you and have you had your license more than a year, if a year or more again cheaper. Male or Female, female cheaper. Any prior tickets or accidents? They hurt you here. Finally will you be listed as the primary driver or will a parent be LISTED as the primary jeep driver . If a parent this also brings rate down. Older the jeep lower the insurance cost. Any mods drive up the cost if you tell them. They want to know about all mods but really just care about mods that change the risk factor ex: lift kit increases rollover odds in their eyes

I added my son to our policy and our rate went up about $1700, I subsequently bought and insured a 2001 Wrangler, with myself listed as primary. My son is listed as primary on an 2011 Tahoe, jeep purchase added about $200 total

Hope this helps and good luck

Kris

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Many factors come into play here: are you insuring or simply adding the jeep to your parents policy. If the later much cheaper. How old are you and have you had your license more than a year, if a year or more again cheaper. Male or Female, female cheaper. Any prior tickets or accidents? They hurt you here. Finally will you be listed as the primary driver or will a parent be LISTED as the primary jeep driver . If a parent this also brings rate down. Older the jeep lower the insurance cost. Any mods drive up the cost if you tell them. They want to know about all mods but really just care about mods that change the risk factor ex: lift kit increases rollover odds in their eyes

I added my son to our policy and our rate went up about $1700, I subsequently bought and insured a 2001 Wrangler, with myself listed as primary. My son is listed as primary on an 2011 Tahoe, jeep purchase added about $200 total

Hope this helps and good luck

Kris
X2

My rate just went down again, been insured primary driver for 20 years now and paying for full coverage plus collision @ 79$ a month. Thats about is cheap as you can get in my corner. Was paying 103$ a month for the last year now since I got my jeep a year ago...I hate insurance :/

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Sit down with your parents insurance agent, give them the specs on the Jeep and another car, see what they say. The fact is that you're 16 that is going to be the expensive part, its not just the vehicle insurance its the liability - the likelihood (statistically speaking) that you are going to get a ticket and be in an accident. The good thing is the Jeep isn't known to a be a speed demon, but your age and lack of driving experience is the issue. That said I've got 2 boys in your age range when I bought my Wrangler for which they are drivers my rates dropped.

·
Super Moderator
9,598 Posts
Look into a defensive driving course, give you more experience dealing with all the idiots out there! Most insurance companies give a fairly good discount for the course and what you save will pay for the course.
Remember the decisions you make effect both your and others LIVES while driving! You're 16 we were all there...this the single biggest responsibility you'll have at that age...
set yourself up for good decisions...shut the phone ringer OFF That way you don't even hear incoming texts. Put blind spot mirrors on the side view mirrors... That way you don't have to take your eyes off what's in front of you When you're merging into traffic. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not a teen so I'm not sure about that, however when I recently bought my Jeep I was surprised to see the insurance went down. I had a 4d VW Jetta before so I thought for sure the insurance was going to be higher for my jeep, but it wasn't. If I were you I'd just look up quotes on the Internet to see what your insurance will be.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The course will definitely help, the GPA discount doesn't help much though. I've got full coverage at around $1400.. Not the primary driver, nor have I taken any course.

Also, what wrangler has blind spots? lol

·
Registered
469 Posts
My insurance rate is about $117 per month. I am a new driver on my parents plan, it is full coverage. That price is for a 2001 sport with all applicable discounts (Defensive driving, Good Student Discount, Etc.).

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Also, what wrangler has blind spots? lol
Mirror blind spots, and there's a bad one on the driver's side with my seat position. A car creeping up on my left will pull OUT of the mirror view a good 5-10 feet before its hood pops up outside my window. I always turn and check over my shoulder before changing lanes to the left, and have been surprised to see a vehicle there on more than one occasion. Not sure why someone would want to hover right there for minutes at a time, but they do.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I recently posted about my parents needing convincing for me to get a jeep wrangler, but now I have another problem.... Insurance.

As a teen, will insurance for a Jeep Wrangler be more then a standard car?
I'm a good student with a 4.7 gpa.
I also took drivers Ed.
I just bought my first jeep at 17. It is a 1995 yj 4.0 i6 with a five speed and I pay $83 a month for full coverage and everything the insurance offers using good student as well. From what it looks my insurance is really cheap for a 17 yr old but mainly because I'm on my parents plan with two houses, two jet skis, and three other cars, as well as a boat. I am still the primary driver though. Jeeps are also considered wagons for insurance by me so that also helps in cost.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
When I turned 16 I was paying about 60$ a month with only liability. Allstate gives discounts based on grades and if you do their online stuff. Considering I had over a 4.0 in high school and did the online stuff I got all the discounts possible.

Went down a bit last year but I had my parents switch the Jeep to liability/comprehensive. I think it's still under 70$ a month. I really don't know, I just give my parents a big monthly check for my portion of insurance and cell phone. I pay whatever they tell me I owe them.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
A defensive driving course will likely reduce your rates slightly, also an older car is cheaper to insure, but other then that there isn't much you can do except drive really slowly and avoid accidents.

A Jeep will help with the slow part... :)

I used to drive rice rockets, and I'll tell you a Jeep is much more fun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It also depends on loan cause of course if you get a vehicle loan you have to have full coverage. I got a personnel loan you can get a liability plan if you want to run the risk. I'm 19 male driving stock 95 yj and laibility for me is $70

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm 17 and have been driving mine for 1 year. It's listed as my mom being the primary driver(but I drive it) my parents policy went up but I haven't gotten a ticket or in a crash. Jeeps are awesome and cool to have. Just be really responsible if you get one. I have come very close to tipping it over.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just picked up a 2000 TJ Sport and have done all the drivers ed etc. I am 21 years old and am paying $144 a month for comprehensive coverage. Mind you I am living in Canada so that may change things a bit from you guys.

Overall I am happy with the price, I was looking at a Tacoma as well when car shopping and was quoted $189 per month...

So I would think the fact that it is a Jeep brings down the cost.

·
Registered
955 Posts
19 here, got my jeep after roughly 10 months of having my license. Rate is 191 a month with all the good stuff like collision and decent accident coverage. No accidents or tickets in the past. But i'm a rather confident and careful driver. If you're like that and keep it up, driving only becomes cheaper for you.

Come to think of it, after hitting having my license for a year, my insurance didn't drop. Maybe i should give a call to my agent... :confused:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts