Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve caught a few threads recently where posters stated firmly “jeeps aren’t made to go 35-40 mph on trails and washboard. Slow down!” with others chiming in, in agreement, as if everyone knows that.

What’s up with that opinion? If the trail is not mostly rocks and deep ruts, but rather is good solid dirt, why not drive moderately fast? And if not a jeep, what vehicle *do* you get for that? And washboard is even worse at slower speeds.

I don’t mind replacing ball joints more often. And driving fast on washboard is what my reservoir shocks are for.

So what’s up with this thinking that jeeps can only drive slow on anything but pavement? What am I missing?

·
Registered
695 Posts
I’ve caught a few threads recently where posters stated firmly “jeeps aren’t made to go 35-40 mph on trails and washboard. Slow down!” with others chiming in, in agreement, as if everyone knows that. What’s up with that opinion? If the trail is not mostly rocks and deep ruts, but rather is good solid dirt, why not drive moderately fast? And if not a jeep, what vehicle *do* you get for that? And washboard is even worse at slower speeds. I don’t mind replacing ball joints more often. And driving fast on washboard is what my reservoir shocks are for. So what’s up with this thinking that jeeps can only drive slow on anything but pavement? What am I missing?
Your post made me think of this video:
http://www.aev-conversions.com/gallery/video-gallery#

·
Registered
791 Posts
Washboards -- Ive seen way too many vehicles start fishtailing and then wreck, flip, etc in my younger days. Not to mention it almost happening to myself. You are only hitting the top of the ridges and therefore VERY little traction when it comes down to it. As for the suspension pieces, I prefer not to replace parts that often.

It really comes down to personal preference and your comfort level. If its a smooth open plain, then Ill go quicker, if its a place I dont know you bet your bottom dollar Im going to take it easy. Plus, I bought my Jeep to enjoy the trail scenery not to skip through. If I wanted to skip through, Id just stay on the interstate and call it good. Personal preference, if I see you coming fast behind me - Ill be sure to move over (that or honk and Ill move).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all so far. I get the personal preference thing. What I don't get is people saying "jeeps aren't made for that." So for back roads I'd do better in a Prius?

BTW, where I live there are many 40 to 60 mile washboard dirt roads that are the only way to get from A to B. Everyone drives fast on them and I was hoping one advantage of getting a jeep would be to make those rides more sturdy and maybe even safer. But I guess jeeps are made for that :confused:.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Your post made me think of this video:
American Expedition Vehicles - Video Gallery
Gosh, I love that you posted this. Makes me realize JK gets hate just for the sake of hating. I'm getting sick of hearing that it is too "car-like" or "a glorified minivan." Don't get me wrong. Every single person has an opinion, and I'm open to hearing it. But it can be confusing and disheartening for a newb trying to buy a JK.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Most any vehicle isn't going to handle well in loose gravel and shallow holes when driven fast. Small curves even make it worst. The problem is that most often you are limited to the width of the road surface because there are ditches on either side. We're not taking about out in the desert. Anything over 30 and you are risking yourdelf and the lives of others.

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I think a lot of the confusion is that there is no definition of "trail". What some people call a trail others call a road. To me dirt roads, fire access roads, and access trails in parks are all roads.

View attachment 2178641

This is a road to me yet others would call it a trail just because it is out in the middle of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
If I were going to make a habit of 50 +- per day, everyday, of faster washboard road, I would invest in some quality shocks Monotube or otherwise that are noted for not overheating and designed for that stuff, Bilstein, Fox and so on. Also a Fox steering stabilizer kit. No matter what vehicle I was driving F250, Dodge, Chevy, or Wrangler. An overheated shock absorber doesn't absorb shock....

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I’ve caught a few threads recently where posters stated firmly “jeeps aren’t made to go 35-40 mph on trails and washboard. Slow down!” with others chiming in, in agreement, as if everyone knows that.

What’s up with that opinion? If the trail is not mostly rocks and deep ruts, but rather is good solid dirt, why not drive moderately fast? And if not a jeep, what vehicle *do* you get for that? And washboard is even worse at slower speeds.

I don’t mind replacing ball joints more often. And driving fast on washboard is what my reservoir shocks are for.

So what’s up with this thinking that jeeps can only drive slow on anything but pavement? What am I missing?
I like driving fast at times as well. I've desert raced off and on for the last 35 years, mainly in the dirt bike classes, but also in three different vehicle classes. It is a lot of fun, and you get to do it on a closed course, with everyone going the same direction, and warning markers for anything too dangerous.

Can a Jeep drive fast off road? Fast is a relative term. A stock Jeep has a pretty weak set of axles under it. Driving fast is usually what bends the axle tubes, c-knuckles, and rear axle flanges. My Jeep is set up for back country exploring, and it is sitting on a pair or Pro Rock 60's. People often ask why I have 60's if I'm not doing a lot of rock crawling. I want my Jeep to stand up to a little abuse if it needs to. Suspension travel, and the ESP, are the limiting factors with my Jeep. It is strong, and reliable, but I do most of my fast driving in a vehicle other than the Jeep. The Jeep really is for exploring, and for bad weather when I want an enclosed cab.

You ask, "if not a Jeep, then what?"

This is just an idea for you. Here is my current off road toy when I want to have fun at a faster pace. It blows away a Jeep so bad it isn't even funny. I entered a desert race with it two weeks ago, and had a great time. Ran the race with it completely stock, and had no problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnO1GJvZVnI

And when I said fast is relative, this is a nice video that shows what "fast" off road is. Fast is expensive, that's what fast is, LOL. Have fun with your Jeep, and be careful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyAIm50pHAo

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Wranglers have solid axles and with the size of rubber we "upgrade" to.... Wranglers are built for slower rides.

Speed, handling, safety all require suspensions which can react quickly. If speed is your virtue? top of the list should be independent suspension.... then low centre of gravity.... then wheelbase. Ya you can go hammer down in anything but Wranglers are built to excel at something else.

And if speed is the goal? you do not need 4WD. But you will need $$$$$$$$

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Thanks all so far. I get the personal preference thing. What I don't get is people saying "jeeps aren't made for that." So for back roads I'd do better in a Prius?

BTW, where I live there are many 40 to 60 mile washboard dirt roads that are the only way to get from A to B. Everyone drives fast on them and I was hoping one advantage of getting a jeep would be to make those rides more sturdy and maybe even safer. But I guess jeeps are made for that :confused:.
Now yer being stupid!!

Really a prius...... :atomic:

And whats this about ball joints????????

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
"Comfort is an illusion. A false security bred from familiar things and familiar ways. It narrows the mind. Weakens the body, and robs the soul of spirit and determination. Comfort is neither welcome nor tolerated here"
Lt Gen. Chesty Puller USMC

GREAT SIGNATURE !!!!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
If you want to go fast off road, get a Ford Raptor. They are made for that. Jeeps are great off road, but more slow going.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Sure a stock or moderately built JK/U is not going to keep up with a Ford Raptor or similarly set up truck on "high speed" trails/roads. With my tires PSI set to the trail/road conditions and sway bars disconnect(?) I routinely run desert wash board and fire roads at 35-45mph in my moderately built JKU with reasonable comfort and control while in either 2H or 4H depending on surface conditions. Our lighter built up JK is a little slower and 35mph seem to be it's max comfort/control spot given similar condition. Given two Jeeps a JKU or JK set up the same or close to the same the JKU will perform better than a JK on "high speed" trails/roads simply because of the longer wheelbase.

Driving wash board and fire roads at speed is just like any other driving skill. It is learned and the more you do it the better your skill becomes. It is irrelevant if the vehicle can do it, if the driver can not.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts