Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the dealer looking at Renegades. Not a bad vehicle. I brought up the 4" Mopar lift discovered here. The sales person and sales manager said they thought it would void warranty because it was 4" or higher. This led to discussion about what voids warranty. Here is the explanation (though I doubt it is definitive).

"We Jeep dealers rely on warranty work. We are required to offer broken parts as proof of warranty work. If we don't think we can send an aftermarket part in as proof and get paid, we won't do the warranty work. That is the problem. We have been told lifts 4" and bigger require drive shaft replacement so we can't warranty them. If you bring in your own lift parts and we install them, your warranty is still valid. We just can't insure the aftermarket parts through Chrysler. This is why we love Rough Country. Cheap.... Just make it under 4" so we don't get into trouble with non-lift components stressed by bigger lifts. "

I'm not sure, but this sounds correct. Chrysler will first ask who installed something. If it is a dealer, the conversation continues. If it is not a dealer, not good. I wish this wasn't such a gray area. Seems the answer changes every time I hear it. If I have said this wrong, could someone chime in and say it correctly?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
It used to be that anything that Chrysler sold as a performance part was not covered by the factory warranty. You could tell if it was considered a performance part, because the part number, if I remember right, started with P. I understand that Chrysler has done away with the P designator and now use something different to designate performance parts. There was an earlier thread about the 4 inch lift, and I do believe that they consider it a performance part, and it is not covered. The only lift that I am aware of that is covered by the Chrysler factory warranty is the Mopar 2 inch lift.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I was at the dealer looking at Renegades. Not a bad vehicle. I brought up the 4" Mopar lift discovered here. The sales person and sales manager said they thought it would void warranty because it was 4" or higher. This led to discussion about what voids warranty. Here is the explanation (though I doubt it is definitive). "We Jeep dealers rely on warranty work. We are required to offer broken parts as proof of warranty work. If we don't think we can send an aftermarket part in as proof and get paid, we won't do the warranty work. That is the problem. We have been told lifts 4" and bigger require drive shaft replacement so we can't warranty them. If you bring in your own lift parts and we install them, your warranty is still valid. We just can't insure the aftermarket parts through Chrysler. This is why we love Rough Country. Cheap.... Just make it under 4" so we don't get into trouble with non-lift components stressed by bigger lifts. " I'm not sure, but this sounds correct. Chrysler will first ask who installed something. If it is a dealer, the conversation continues. If it is not a dealer, not good. I wish this wasn't such a gray area. Seems the answer changes every time I hear it. If I have said this wrong, could someone chime in and say it correctly?
Here's a much more important question...what are you looking to do with your Jeep? Only reason you'd ever need a 4" lift on a new Wrangler would be if you're going to run 40" tires. You can run 37" tires on a properly done 2.5" lift with flat fenders.

Fwiw I wouldn't put Rough Country suspension parts on my Jeep. Your dealer loves it because they can charge $1000 for a $300 lift.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was at the dealer looking at Renegades. Not a bad vehicle. I brought up the 4" Mopar lift discovered here. The sales person and sales manager said they thought it would void warranty because it was 4" or higher. This led to discussion about what voids warranty. Here is the explanation (though I doubt it is definitive). "We Jeep dealers rely on warranty work. We are required to offer broken parts as proof of warranty work. If we don't think we can send an aftermarket part in as proof and get paid, we won't do the warranty work. That is the problem. We have been told lifts 4" and bigger require drive shaft replacement so we can't warranty them. If you bring in your own lift parts and we install them, your warranty is still valid. We just can't insure the aftermarket parts through Chrysler. This is why we love Rough Country. Cheap.... Just make it under 4" so we don't get into trouble with non-lift components stressed by bigger lifts. " I'm not sure, but this sounds correct. Chrysler will first ask who installed something. If it is a dealer, the conversation continues. If it is not a dealer, not good. I wish this wasn't such a gray area. Seems the answer changes every time I hear it. If I have said this wrong, could someone chime in and say it correctly?
I was struggling with this also. Depends on how much u want to spend. 4 inches done correctly is like 8000 bucks. I just put a teraflex 2.5 and 35s. Plenty big enough. Shit 4 inches on the new jeeps today is huge. Honestly I don't think the dealer is expierenced enough to that lift All I can say is do your research and if the dealer doesn't put it in writing than it doesn't count

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
I got the same answer when I bought by 14. I actually had them install my 3.5 Metalcloak lift, which they butchered. But thats another story in itself. One thing to remember is each dealership has different rules. My dealership still honors my warranty and respective parts after the lift but another may not. Knock on wood, I haven't had to test it yet but rest assured I kept everything and got it ALL in writing.

·
Registered
558 Posts
It used to be that anything that Chrysler sold as a performance part was not covered by the factory warranty. You could tell if it was considered a performance part, because the part number, if I remember right, started with P. I understand that Chrysler has done away with the P designator and now use something different to designate performance parts. There was an earlier thread about the 4 inch lift, and I do believe that they consider it a performance part, and it is not covered. The only lift that I am aware of that is covered by the Chrysler factory warranty is the Mopar 2 inch lift.
Mopar Tereflex 3.5 is also covered for sure.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Just find a dealership that is off-road and mods friendly. I bring my jeep with winch, bumpers, lift and 35s with mud still showing in some creases to a dealership that is less than a mile from my house, that is very friendly to jeep and offroad culture.

I had overheating issues due to the mud packed radiator that I misdiagnosed as thermostat issue. I brought it in and they washed off 3 lbs of the dirt from between the radiator and condenser and asked me to drive around and see if the issue is solved. they called me upfront and told me that they can do the work for 1.5 hours labor or I can do it myself and they will fix overheating issue under warranty from there. I thought it was fair and let them do the work - remove fan and shroud and do through cleaning.

Now, my jeep is at that dealership due to leaking front axle shaft seal. they know that I have regeared differentials and aftermarket diff covers, but had no problem with that and covered the work under warranty. it helps that the service manager is a member of local jeep club :)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just called metalcloak. They said the same thing the dealer said. Quoted some law. A guy put a new radio in and they tried to deny his transmission warranty. Now the warranty provider has to prove the new parts caused some other damage.

Regarding what am I going to do with it? It is a daily drive first and foremost. I only have one vehicle. I am excited to hear a dealer supporting lift kits. I am nervous about using them for a new lift they have never done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just called metalcloak. They said the same thing the dealer said. Quoted some law. A guy put a new radio in and they tried to deny his transmission warranty.
uhh..nope. They cannot void a warranty on a transmission because of an aftermarket radio. The radio has no direct effect on the transmission. According to the uniform commercial code

"That unwritten protection guarantees that consumer products are free of substantial defects and will function properly for a reasonable period of time"

in addition, the the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. " The act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage."

also, the jeep warranty document states that not all modifications will void warranty, but Chrysler will not repair non approved chrysler parts. Chrysler is also absolved of any warranty responsibility if the part negatively affected a covered manufacturer part.

your friend is either not providing the full details or the dealership is shady. If it is the latter, your friend should contact corporate and the better business bureau. An after market radio does not void the warranty for a transmission.

"""
"

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Any "Mopar" accessory parts that are installed by the dealer comes with it's own limited warranty. The only parts that are covered under 3/36 or the powertrain warranty are parts installed at the factory. However, it's up to the dealer if they want to honor the Chrysler warranty for Mopar parts that are installed by them. They can do it under "good will". Mod friendly dealers will do it, some won't. If a Mopar lift is installed by the dealer or customer, if the parts are purchased through a dealer, a dealer only has to abide by the limited warranty that covers the parts. They can expand the warranty if they want, but Chrysler doesn't reimburse them for labor, for example. If an aftermarket part, either Mopar or any other part, causes a covered 3/36 factory warranty part to fail the warranty covering the factory part doesn't have to be honored by the dealer. Again, it's up to them if they will. The example of having an aftermarket radio and a dealer not honoring a trans. problem is extreme, but the dealer has to repair the trans. If the radio causes the TIPM to fry, then it doesn't have to be covered. If the lift causes a wheel bearing problem, the wheel bearings may not be covered unless the dealer decides to cover it. It's good to have in writing what a dealer will or will not cover if they are installing any aftermarket part, which includes Mopar.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Any "Mopar" accessory parts that are installed by the dealer comes with it's own limited warranty. The only parts that are covered under 3/36 or the powertrain warranty are parts installed at the factory. However, it's up to the dealer if they want to honor the Chrysler warranty for Mopar parts that are installed by them. They can do it under "good will". Mod friendly dealers will do it, some won't. If a Mopar lift is installed by the dealer or customer, if the parts are purchased through a dealer, a dealer only has to abide by the limited warranty that covers the parts. They can expand the warranty if they want, but Chrysler doesn't reimburse them for labor, for example. If an aftermarket part, either Mopar or any other part, causes a covered 3/36 factory warranty part to fail the warranty covering the factory part doesn't have to be honored by the dealer. Again, it's up to them if they will. The example of having an aftermarket radio and a dealer not honoring a trans. problem is extreme, but the dealer has to repair the trans. If the radio causes the TIPM to fry, then it doesn't have to be covered. If the lift causes a wheel bearing problem, the wheel bearings may not be covered unless the dealer decides to cover it. It's good to have in writing what a dealer will or will not cover if they are installing any aftermarket part, which includes Mopar.
All this being true, the aftermarket part itself may carry a warranty that covers other parts. This is actually true of many of the mopar parts, but after speaking with them just now it is piece-by-piece.

1. If they are performance part #s, (P######) other parts failing are definitely not covered.
2. If they are regular mopar parts, they are covered according to what it says in the mopar warranty that backs them (including other parts failing).
3. However there is also a middle category (the #77#####) lift kits and other parts in the performance catalogue that don't start with "P". Mopar told me that they pretty much pick and choose which of those part numbers include a warranty for if they cause other parts to fail. Both of the new lift kits (2" and 4") are only covered by a 12 month warranty themselves. If other parts fail because of them, it's on you.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
I got the same answer when I bought by 14. I actually had them install my 3.5 Metalcloak lift, which they butchered. But thats another story in itself. One thing to remember is each dealership has different rules. My dealership still honors my warranty and respective parts after the lift but another may not. Knock on wood, I haven't had to test it yet but rest assured I kept everything and got it ALL in writing.
What dealer, if you don't mind me asking, you can PM me if you don't want to post. My current dealer is not only inexperienced, but they don't know anything about modified Jeeps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's my two cents. We just picked up our 2016 Rubicon Unlimited which was purchased from a local dealer. I've bought my last 5 vehicles from them and I deal with the guy who's name is on the building. The same dealer does ALL of the service and maintenance. We purchased the 4 inch Mopar lift, and the lifetime warranty. I pulled the trigger after reading All of the threads about the Mopar lifts and whether or not they are covered under the manufacturers warranty and here's why; when I asked the owner of the dealership about the warranty and described what I read online about the subject, he looked me in the eye and said, I'm taking your money. I will stand behind the warranty for as long as the contract states with no exclusions for the lift kit or any of the accessories my dealership sold you and installed. If you're out of town with a problem, I'll work it out with the dealer you take it too. I don't think I could do better than that. He's never let me down, so that was good enough for me. So, in a nutshell I'm saying I think in large part it's about the relationship you have with your dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts