Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...well the windshields do at least!

This little diddy happened at 2,123 miles.

View attachment 173351

And 75 miles down the interstate, the rock Gods didn't think I had had enough fun, so they threw this little number my way. This happened at 2,198 miles.

View attachment 173352

The first one is at the top, over the passenger dash board, and the second is over the steering wheel at the 11 o'clock position.

It really SUCKS to have not one but TWO of these on my one month old Jeep, after the very first road trip!!

I'm off to the glass repair place.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
Glass resin repair will make it look like it never even happened.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Just be thankful you don't live here in Colorado where tiny rocks litter the roads and this stuff is just an every day event...lol

·
Registered
405 Posts
Rock gawds got me at 230 something I let it sit till I got about 1500 on the OD and then the sucker surfed north and south good thing I had a cheap delectable

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've heard of a coating they can put on the windshield to prevent this. Anyone heard of this or what it's called?

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
Sorry to see that. Looks repairable but don't let it go to long. Could get worse

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
For some reason, rocks never hit my windshield, they hit the header bar above. I heard that your insurance company might take care of the costs if it is in the field of view. Might want to try and pursue that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i've heard of this stuff too.. it's the same thing they put on helicopter propellers... or something like that. I'm not sure who applies it though. definitely worth looking into! i got my first chip at 800km or something.
so glad calgary keeps putting down more gravel on the roads instead of plowing them :S

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
charslo said:
i've heard of this stuff too.. it's the same thing they put on helicopter propellers... or something like that. I'm not sure who applies it though. definitely worth looking into! i got my first chip at 800km or something.
so glad calgary keeps putting down more gravel on the roads instead of plowing them :S
Sounds expensive.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to see that. Looks repairable but don't let it go to long. Could get worse

I'm trying to get a Safelite rep scheduled this afternoon. It's going to be about $150 to repair them but the insurance should pick up the cost.

·
Registered
38,318 Posts
They usually do. Cheaper for them to fix rather then have to replace sometime down the road.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup. Scheduled for tomorrow morning, in my driveway. Insurance is going to pick up the full cost with nothing out of pocket.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I doubt that a coating will help much - we are just dealing with basic physics here. Our windshields are pretty vertical compared to the tilted position of most aerodynamically designed vehicles. A lot of the energy is deflected by the angle of incidence of a tilted windshield. Our windshields which are almost vertical, absorb almost all of the kinetic energy of the rock strike and crack as a result.

It is very important to fix these as soon as possible because they form running cracks very easily if left unrepaired. I learned that lesson the hard way with 600 miles on the clock...

·
Registered
70 Posts
What's a Jeep without a starred windshield anyway? Not much chance not to get them with a vertical windscreen. Just wait for spring when all the so called 'sand' which is really gravel that will be dumped on the roads for traction melts out.
Do check out the price of replacing the windshield, a recent replacement I got for my car was nearly the same price as a repair. A replacement gets rid of any little pits that can't be fixed.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will repair it as long as I can. I enjoy the little factory graphics on the windshield.

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's really not that uncommon, or that big of a deal. I had a windshield replaced on my last JK because of a crack caused by a rock hitting it on the highway. I've had 4 windshields replaced on my Subaru Forester.

-g

1 - 20 of 35 Posts