Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be taking delivery of a 2015 red JKUR. I want to put new wheels and bigger tires. I am leaning toward Rugged Ridge Jesse Spade's and AEV Pintlers. Do you guys have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Lew

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I think Pintlers are overdone. But that's just my two cents and it's not worth crap. You should buy whatever you like.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
i like the pintlers since the valves are recessed for protection. The Jesse spades are also recessed for protection but look like they belong to a muscle car if you add all terrains. Have you considered the XHD's? More protection for the same price, but based on your options... I would choose pintlers. They are not overdone like methods/fuel ... I see them daily on all types of trucks. I'd rather have a jeep specific brand so others can't imitate.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd been wanting Pintlers for years and planned to order them soon, but then I stumbled on alarmingly numerous customer reports of their spokes cracking. AEV is apparently pretty good about the warranty claims, but I've opted to avoid the hassle and go with another wheel.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
I'd been wanting Pintlers for years and planned to order them soon, but then I stumbled on alarmingly numerous customer reports of their spokes cracking. AEV is apparently pretty good about the warranty claims, but I've opted to avoid the hassle and go with another wheel.
Don't let internet parroting sway you away. AEV is a great company.

I had toyo at2's and i had a sidewall puncture (i didn't purchase hazard warranty). Toyo gave me 50% off a new tire/mounting/balancing.

Teraflex also had an issue with their tire carrier cracking (wayalife forum). They fixed that issue as well. As long as its a respected, customer service oriented company ... you'll be in good hands.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Don't let internet parroting sway you away. AEV is a great company.

I had toyo at2's and i had a sidewall puncture (i didn't purchase hazard warranty). Toyo gave me 50% off a new tire/mounting/balancing.

Teraflex also had an issue with their tire carrier cracking (wayalife forum). They fixed that issue as well. As long as its a respected, customer service oriented company ... you'll be in good hands.
Great company or not, I'm not interested in wheels that crack for no reason frequently enough to be mentioned on every jeep forum by different users. I really, really wanted to buy them, even despite all the other stories of Pintlers being chewed up on mild trails. However, failure during daily use is a non-starter.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Great company or not, I'm not interested in wheels that crack for no reason frequently enough to be mentioned on every jeep forum by different users. I really, really wanted to buy them, even despite all the other stories of Pintlers being chewed up on mild trails. However, failure during daily use is a non-starter.
I had a set of Pintlers for over 4 years at worked them hard, now they are on a younger member of the family's JK and shall we say he is a bit careless off road. After all these years they are banged up but never cracked. However, I was asked more than once by other Pintler owners if I ever had a crack. When there is that much smoke that has to be at least a spark or two. I think the percentage is small and it may be resolved but for some reason there a lot of AEV haters out there and even minor issues with them get blown out proportion. Maybe it's because they focus on overland travel rather than all mighty rock crawling or maybe because they have closer ties to the factory than anybody else but there's definitely some hate and resentment towards the brand.

I would normally say that if you have any doubts just go with your other option but Rugged Ridge is not a quality powerhouse in manufacturing.

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
for some reason there a lot of AEV haters out there and even minor issues with them get blown out proportion.
Jeeper mindset in general loves to mistrust large corporations and favor the smaller, undiscovered operators. AEV has been catering to Jeep owners very successfully for decades and is now the established, premium-priced provider. This just seems to go counter with some Jeepers' idea of individualism.

Interestingly, I know people who have been into Jeeps for decades, and AEV grew with them through their TJs and now JKs: they view AEV as a legitimate Jeep high-quality outfitter.

I would normally say that if you have any doubts just go with your other option but Rugged Ridge is not a quality powerhouse in manufacturing.
Excellent point!

If I had to pick between AEV or Rugged Ridge based on their track record for consistently developing and manufacturing high-quality components for Jeeps over the years, AEV gets my vote, hands down!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Pintlers are the only rims where I have seen the tire roll off the rim while on the trail. TP wasn't that low, around 15-18 and one time the trail was about a 2.

·
Super Moderator
10,632 Posts
Seriously?

What's next? Pintlers are the only wheels that become square after being parked for a month? Pintlers are the only wheels that come loose when you wash them? How about Pintlers are the only wheels that get stolen on Thursdays?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had a set of Pintlers for over 4 years at worked them hard, now they are on a younger member of the family's JK and shall we say he is a bit careless off road. After all these years they are banged up but never cracked. However, I was asked more than once by other Pintler owners if I ever had a crack. When there is that much smoke that has to be at least a spark or two. I think the percentage is small and it may be resolved but for some reason there a lot of AEV haters out there and even minor issues with them get blown out proportion. Maybe it's because they focus on overland travel rather than all mighty rock crawling or maybe because they have closer ties to the factory than anybody else but there's definitely some hate and resentment towards the brand. I would normally say that if you have any doubts just go with your other option but Rugged Ridge is not a quality powerhouse in manufacturing.
this is my second set of pintlers with no issues at all. Any manufacturing companies will have some lemons. The ? Is will that company stand behind their product and AEV does. For some unknown reason a lot of people bash AEV. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and u should get what u like. People rely on internet for way too much. Do jeeps have multiple issues? Do we still buy them? Yes because it's what we like. All it takes is 1 person to say something negative about a product and the bashing starts. It's "YOUR" jeep. I vote pintlers

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think the percentage is small and it may be resolved but for some reason there a lot of AEV haters out there and even minor issues with them get blown out proportion. Maybe it's because they focus on overland travel rather than all mighty rock crawling or maybe because they have closer ties to the factory than anybody else but there's definitely some hate and resentment towards the brand.

Let's not get it twisted; I'm no AEV hater. I think they make some pretty cool products. I'm not a serious rock crawler; my type of off-roading is their target market. To be perfectly honest, I'm still somewhat torn between the Pintlers and another wheel to which I've recently turned my attention. And not that Chinese-made products necessarily bother me by default, but AEV self-admits in some of the "cracked Pintler" threads on their own forum that they've outsourced production to China in recent years after establishing early Pintler popularity. Their representatives go further to say (apologetically) that they have far less control over the casting process and quality control in the interest of competitive prices, which does concern me.

The Pintler issue does not appear to have been resolved according to threads on their forum in which one can find unresolved cases (plural) reporting as recently as a few weeks ago, with pictures. With that said, I agree that I would blindly trust them over Rugged Ridge's wheels.

I agree that it's likely a small percentage. AEV claims to sell in excess of 40,000 Pintlers in a year and the rule regarding internet complaints vs. sample size probably applies. Most of the cracked wheels seem to get replaced under warranty (though not all, yet), with at least one resolving to a full refund, including shipping, mounting and balancing expenses. However, I'm a one-and-done, get-it-right-the-first-time kind of modder, and it's alarming to me that this issue is cropping up [bold]in the first place[/bold] when there are so many other options with zero such reports at all. It's just annoying that they're so sharp :)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
While I like the RR wheels (even though they'd look more at home on a Mustang), Pintlers are timeless.

As for seeing them everywhere, well, mine is the only one I've seen in my area with them.

:)

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
this is my second set of pintlers with no issues at all. Any manufacturing companies will have some lemons. The ? Is will that company stand behind their product and AEV does. For some unknown reason a lot of people bash AEV. Everyone has different likes and dislikes and u should get what u like. People rely on internet for way too much. Do jeeps have multiple issues? Do we still buy them? Yes because it's what we like. All it takes is 1 person to say something negative about a product and the bashing starts. It's "YOUR" jeep. I vote pintlers
A lot of this discussion is tainted by the hate by some towards AEV. I think Aldo's explanation presents a plausible explanation. Although AEV is by no means a large company like Rancho which has been around for much longer but they do charge a premium and don't let their resellers discount their products.

Regarding the wheels they do stand behind their products. In most of the cases they have provided a replacement wheel without too many questions. Call them and ask them what they have to say about the problem. There's so many wheels designs out there is you have any doubts go with something else. For instance the Mammoth Boulder wheels look a like a Pintler knockoff and its available in more sizes at a lower price.

Just keep in mind there is one reported case a set of tires coming of a set of Pintlers rolling up a hill, making a left and falling into the Grand Canyon never to be seen again. :nonono:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am also trying to decide between wheels. The one thing I am not too crazy about the Pintlers is the 5.3 backspacing. Both the Jesse Spade wheel and Drakon wheels are at 4.5 backspacing which I think looks a bit more aggressive.

Although, I have seen Pintlers with a 12.5 wide tire on a stock suspension that look great as well.

Tough decision!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Everyone just about has their wheels cast in China. It's just the way it is. Another vote for pintlers. I'm pretty happy with mine. Though I think the mammoth wheels from extreme terrain look pretty good as well.

·
Registered
154 Posts
So let me revive this thread and ask you Pintler owners a question. I LOVE the pintlers. My favorite feature is that they're hub centric which I don't think people appreciate as much as they should. Anyway, what's your opinion on the backspacing? I'm currently running Procomp 7069 wheels that have 4.75 backspacing. The common opinion is that you need 4.5 or less to run a true 12.5 in tire. The pintlers have even more backspacing than my procomps. Do any of you have rubbing issues? I'm stepping up from 285's/70-17's next year to a true 35 X 12.5. I'd like to do Pintlers at the same time but I'm hesitant to buy rims with even more backspacing than my current setup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts