Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the hood for a couple months but unfortunately to get the hood properly paint matched, each of the 3 body shops I quoted wanted to do a blend for an exact match. Rock Lobster red has hints of orange in it causing the paint to shift in lighting conditions - its not a straight red - it looks good but is a bear to match. Here in Northern VA, quotes ranged from $400-700 just to paint, blended quotes jumped up to $2500! :eek:

So, I've decided instead of taking a chance on a spray and having a shade off, I'm going to focus on other mods. The hood will fit in the back of a JKU with the seats down.

Parts: 10A Rubicon hood, new from MOPAR, two grilles and under hood insulation. none of these have been installed.
Cost: $550

·
Registered
88 Posts
Holy crap! That is a crazy number to just paint a hood! Do you know anyone who is into classic cars? If you do, ask them do they know of a good painter. A lot of the time they know someone who is a really good painter but doesn't paint cars for a living. That's what I'm doing whenever I repaint my TJ in the next few months. Paying 700-800 bucks for a full on paint job (over half of that is just materials). If you wanted and you would be willing to make the trip to get it done, I could see how much he would charge to do it. Just let me know if you would like me to ask.

We just bought my wife a Rock Lobster JKU; God I hope we don't ever have to pay to have anything painted!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hey do you still have the hood?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
replied to all PMs.

·
Registered
194 Posts