Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2017 Wrangler Sport Unlimited. With a 2.5" lift kit, what's the maximum size tire I can use with no rubbing and keeping the stock 17" rims? Also, if I do decide to get custom rims, 17"x9", what should the backspacing be? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Hello,

I have a 2017 Wrangler Sport Unlimited. With a 2.5" lift kit, what's the maximum size tire I can use with no rubbing and keeping the stock 17" rims? Also, if I do decide to get custom rims, 17"x9", what should the backspacing be? Thank you.
With 1.5" wheel spacers (like SpiderTrax, PoisonSpyder, etc), you should be able to run up to a 315/70/17 or 35x12.5x17 on your stock wheels with your 2.5" lift. You may get some contact with your factory airdam when turning lock to lock, but trimming or removal will handle that.

As for aftermarket wheels, 4.5" backspace is ideal. However, slightly larger backspacing can work as well. For instance, the stock wheels with 1.5" spacers would have a 4.75" backspace.

·
Super Moderator
14,571 Posts
With 1.5" wheel spacers (like SpiderTrax, PoisonSpyder, etc), you should be able to run up to a 315/70/17 or 35x12.5x17 on your stock wheels with your 2.5" lift. You may get some contact with your factory airdam when turning lock to lock, but trimming or removal will handle that.

As for aftermarket wheels, 4.5" backspace is ideal. However, slightly larger backspacing can work as well. For instance, the stock wheels with 1.5" spacers would have a 4.75" backspace.
Thank you 4fit for the information. That was very helpful.
A word of caution, many tire shops will not mount a 35x12.5 on the factory 7.5" wide wheel as that wheel is too narrow per the tire manufacturers width guidelines. However, many people do it.

If this concerns you, the 285/75-17 tire size is only 1/4" shorter than a 35 and is approved on the 7.5" wide wheel.

Here is a pic of the 285/75-17 size:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts