Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a rigid cargo area shelf/storage option for people who keep the soft top down and rear seat out?

Having a hell of a time finding something and really trying to avoid a custom build as I stink with that kind of stuff.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Rampage and fab Fours both make something you could try.

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Another option would be the Carrich's tailgate storage box. It holds a good amount of stuff. And when you need to get in it the soft top won’t get in the way because the box swings open with the tailgate. If you have the rear seat in it is the perfect solution. I have since taken mine out because my dog needs the extra space. I also didn’t use mine as much as I thought I would.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just purchased this for my 2 door. I got this one because the top lifts up like a trunk style lid.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition.

Reactions: tklbc

·
Registered
678 Posts
Would recommend the tuffy one. Locked my keys in mine yesterday and multiple locksmiths said they couldnt get into it. I also tried using a hacksaw to break into it and couldn't lol. They definitely work!

Now I need to fix where I cut with the hacksaw somehow....

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I put this tailgate cargo shelf in my rig and am very happy with it. Holds up to two bags of groceries. Obviously not secure and is probably smaller than what you're looking for.

Quadratec Tailgate Cargo Shelf.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the same one. Really nice addition to the Jeep.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I can't wait to get it installed. I'm putting my new top on this weekend so it has to wait until Monday.

Sent from Cyber Space !!

·
Premium Member
5,715 Posts
Does anyone make a rigid cargo area shelf/storage option for people who keep the soft top down and rear seat out?

Having a hell of a time finding something and really trying to avoid a custom build as I stink with that kind of stuff.

Thanks for your help.
I'm sure you've seen my Jeep Backbone thread somewhere; I am 2-door, seat out, and while I don't ever put the top down (just use the sunrider), it can certainly be done.

The two issues with top-down with any sort of full-width cargo storage back there are going to be:

1) the frame "elbows" hitting the deck before the top is all the way down. This causes the top "stack" to hang in mid-air a foot or so above the tub/deck; this is unsightly and blocks rearward vision. The solution for this is the quadratec quick release frame knuckles. They allow you to quickly (without tools) release the frame from itself in a way that allows the top stack to lie down flat against the top deck. https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-ridge/soft-top-quick-release-bow-knuckle-kit-jeep-wrangler-tj-jk?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4o_6pZPQ2QIVHp7ACh1hsA_9EAQYASABEgL-C_D_BwE Of course, if the cargo solution is a set-in box and doesn't extend the full width of the tub, the frame elbows won't come in contact with the deck and this problem is eliminated, but at the cost of some secure storage space.

2) After you install the QR knuckles (a trivial job), the top will lie down as far as it can. Meaning, obviously it can't go any lower than whatever height your cargo deck sits at, which is generally going to be right at the top of the tub. So rather than sitting down in the tub a little bit like the top naturally does without a cargo deck, it will sit right on top of it. But it is still generally well below the height of the spare, so doesn't really cost any visibility. If you had a lower cargo solution the top would sit lower than the tub, but then you're limiting the capacity of the cargo hold.

I don't have any pictures of mine with the top lowered but you can look at this picture and picture what I'm talking about pretty well I think:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts