Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed the rough country 3.5 in lift kit that came with new lower arms and rear sway bar links and such
I put the car up on the weekend to check torque on all bolts and everything checked out alright
At about 40mph+ hitting a bump will give my steering wheel a serious wobble
This is really just a freeway concern as most of my driving is in the city
I was told that I need adjustable upper and lower control arms to fix the problem for sure
The jeep is a 2016 JKU and only has 3k miles haha so what's your opinion on a fix
My mall crawler might be doing some light off-roading soon!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Might get better help in the correct section.

What you are experiencing is bump steer. Death wobble occurs at certain speeds, bump steer happens when you hit a bump and your Jeep wants to dive in another lane.

Search this forum for bump steer. Basically it sounds like your track bar and drag link are out of parallel.

Upper control arms are for pinion angle.
Lower control arms are for caster. (fixes floatie steering)

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
So I installed the rough country 3.5 in lift kit that came with new lower arms and rear sway bar links and such
I put the car up on the weekend to check torque on all bolts and everything checked out alright
At about 40mph+ hitting a bump will give my steering wheel a serious wobble
This is really just a freeway concern as most of my driving is in the city
I was told that I need adjustable upper and lower control arms to fix the problem for sure
The jeep is a 2016 JKU and only has 3k miles haha so what's your opinion on a fix
My mall crawler might be doing some light off-roading soon!!
I may be reading this wrong, so the question is for clarification...did you torque suspension components with the vehicle off the ground (i.e. control arm bolts, etc)? If so it's possible that's your problem. As part of the installation process, it's best to loosen ALL of the bolts - even if you're not replacing the part, or arm. Install the lift, lower vehicle onto the ground completely under it's weight, and THEN tighten all bolts of said suspension components to spec.

If tightened while vehicle is suspended (like off the ground), it places the arms in a bind when vehicle weight is reapplied.

Disregard all of that if you already did it...but your post indicates you may have torqued while off the ground.

I doubt you would have worn bushings or elongated mounting holes for your TB's with such low mileage on your new Jeep.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright so let me clarify the wobble doesn't go away until I slow down to about 20 or so it's pretty bad

The kit didn't come with a whole lot of adjustability

I'll probably take it to the alignment shop and see if the can loosen and torque all the bolts

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I have that lift (dealer installed). No issues at all. Might just take it to a shop that specializes in off road stuff for an alignment. While it probably isn't the best lift, most reviews that I have read, say the ride is decent.

Knowing what I have learned since buying the Jeep, I wouldn't put that lift on now however.

Mine is a 2014 for reference purposes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts