Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 JK with input speed sensor problem; error code P0716 along with incorrect gear ration codes. Goes in and out of limp mode until finally shifts into 2nd gear and remains there. I've replaced the input speed sensor several times and it immediately corrects the problem for some unknown duration of time and miles; should've kept detailed record! I learned there was a programming update in 2010, JK purchased 10/2009. Could this be the problem? Don't know if was ever updated? Lived 240 miles from nearest dealer so always did my own everything! No longer there but still do my own work; very skeptical of experience and training of everyone!

So, question is, why does replacing the sensor correct the problem and then it comes back? I'm a retired electronic engineer and this makes no sense unless it is programming and dealer wants $125 just to look at it. The sensor just sends a pulse signal to the PCM and if was something mechanical in the tranny, replacement shouldn't cause any change??? I've ordered another sensor but would really like it to be the last!

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
2010 JK with input speed sensor problem; error code P0716 along with incorrect gear ration codes. Goes in and out of limp mode until finally shifts into 2nd gear and remains there. I've replaced the input speed sensor several times and it immediately corrects the problem for some unknown duration of time and miles; should've kept detailed record! I learned there was a programming update in 2010, JK purchased 10/2009. Could this be the problem? Don't know if was ever updated? Lived 240 miles from nearest dealer so always did my own everything! No longer there but still do my own work; very skeptical of experience and training of everyone!

So, question is, why does replacing the sensor correct the problem and then it comes back? I'm a retired electronic engineer and this makes no sense unless it is programming and dealer wants $125 just to look at it. The sensor just sends a pulse signal to the PCM and if was something mechanical in the tranny, replacement shouldn't cause any change??? I've ordered another sensor but would really like it to be the last!
https://www.troublecodes.net/pcodes/p0716/

The above might help if you haven't seen it and with your skill set. Could be something minor like a corroded connection compromised wiring. That's what I would look for myself to start. If not near a dealer a trusted transmission repair shop might be able to help also. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you deepbluerubi! I gave thought to the connector but never did anything with them since the transmission worked fine after replacing sensor. I have some cleaners that also deoxidize and lubricate contacts; I'll treat with these. Thanks for the site link. Great site, good info; unfortunately, last update was for 2008. It did lead me to Scantools and I've been wanting to get an OBDII scanner for some time and purchased the OBD MX+. I like that you can get real time driving data with the Torque Pro app. BTW, I found replacements were 10/17 and again 03/18; not much time between. Now almost 2 years later??? I'll clean connector today and see if that works; if not wait for sensor to arrive. Thanks again and great rides to you!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'd be looking at the connection. Unplugging/plugging in the connector could be making enough contact for it to work for a while until it degrades. Hit the connectors with electrical cleaner and try an old sensor. I'll bet it works.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Delay to leaving town for several weeks due to family emergency! Returned and got under Jeep with contact cleaner and a leather furbishing tool. Removed and cleaned contacts on both plug and receptacle; had to trim my homemade furbishing tool down considerably and finally able to get into the contacts. Replaced and went for test drive, still in limp mode. Will now have to get under and replace sensor; need some time to do this since other things happening right now. Since I had no response on the PCM program update, I assume no one is aware of this? It was never a recall and the update began in January 2010; I purchased my 2010 in October 2019 and found out they were only reprogramming those that came in with the problem.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
UPDATE: Delay to leaving town for several weeks due to family emergency! Returned and got under Jeep with contact cleaner and a leather furbishing tool. Removed and cleaned contacts on both plug and receptacle; had to trim my homemade furbishing tool down considerably and finally able to get into the contacts. Replaced and went for test drive, still in limp mode. Will now have to get under and replace sensor; need some time to do this since other things happening right now. Since I had no response on the PCM program update, I assume no one is aware of this? It was never a recall and the update began in January 2010; I purchased my 2010 in October 2019 and found out they were only reprogramming those that came in with the problem.
I ordered my jeep in feb 2010 and took delivery 4/1/10. I assume mine has the newer update. The only item I did for my transmission was add the mopar cooler kit at about 40K I think. These transmissions run a bit hot and jeep didn't account for an external cooler. Guys cooked them just pushing them hard on highways, especially hilly/mountain roads. I believe in proactive measures and I'm frugal, so not inexpensive, but so far 94k miles no issues with it. The kit fits perfect, as expected, from the oem. I included one link. Might be worth it to you in the south and if you plan on keeping your jeep long-term. Keep us posted and positive thoughts for a good outcome for your family.

https://www.allmoparparts.com/sku-y...MIvJz_iP2P6AIVg5yzCh11awXHEAQYBSABEgJ0sfD_BwE

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy it works for you! I've had coolers, both oil and transmission, on pickups for towing travel trailers; never worried about it for the Wrangler because of never towing heavy loads. I have as of today, 173,000 miles on it, 4,000+ off-road, in the Big Bend region of west Texas; lived 4 miles off pavement and had to have 4-wheel drive to get in and out when it rained. A lot of the miles are highway since the nearest box stores were in Odessa, TX, 240 miles north. We did our medical in Austin, 1,000 mile round-trip. I had a medical issue at one time and was making that trip monthly for 1-1/2 years. Children lived there so there was an added benefit. I tend to ramble on and with that said, the sensor is the only frustrating problem I have with the Wrangler. BTW, I've always changed my lubes and filters well ahead of recommended changes!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quite some time from first post of problem! Finally replaced the input sensor and voila, no more limp mode. Going to write to Jeep about problem and try to get them to reprogram with problem update patch. Local dealer wants $125 just to put it on the computer to check for their problem??? Anyway, driving the speed limits again for now until it happens again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.