Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
]Well just want to say first off this is a great forum and to everyone who takes the time to answer, research and share the own experiences, thanks you are much appreciated. I was a member some time ago when I owned my tj and I learned so much from everyone.
Now on to my issue, I bought my wife a 08' unlimited sahara, and it had 1200 miles on it but they had changed out the factory infinity head unit to a cheap double din. They also added an aftermarket amp under the seat, but they did not upgrade factory speakers! I don't hear sound from the oem sub either. The sound is loud but distorted and the head unit is junk. Quality of sound is pitiful. I plan to switch the front speakers and tweeters out with Polk db6501 and rear with db651, also the factory sub with JL w3. Sticking with factory crossovers and current 5 channel amp. My wife wants the factory head unit back in so I picked up a oem REN non satellite unit up from a friends caravan that was wrecked that mopar says will fit. My question is what issues will I run into with this setup when going back to factory? Where is a good starting place? I'm assuming they did not upgrade correctly. I've been researching on here and seems the best setup is.... oem radio>mtx req-5>5 ch amp>upgraded speakers fr and back. That is what I plan on doing at this point. Any suggestions would be helpful. Just kind of looking for advice before I tear it all apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
There's a member on the forum named xsdbs...he's pretty much a wizard with the Jeep sound systems, uconnect, etc. I would PM him with your question.

It would shock me if he couldn't answer it in fairly short order. And if he doesn't know the answer, he can find out. Knows several people who work for Chrysler, apparently.

Tell him I sent you his way cuz you weren't having any luck in the Jeep JK Wrangler Forum area. I've referred folks to him several times. :thumb:

Good luck!

·
Commercial Member
2,013 Posts
Hello Bucheye84,
With the aftermarket radio, you say it's "loud but distorted". Something I would look at here is the amp gains and crossover point settings. (I know you mentioned that the radio is junk, but you will want to look at these settings anyway for when you do make the change out.
Right now, what is the radio volume displayed on the radio when the audio starts distorting?
being a 5 channel amp, there will be HPF (high pass filters) for the front & rear speakers. These are the crossovers for the front & rear speakers, and there should be a LP (low pass filter) for the sub.
I would have the sub LP set to about 8o hz and the HPF to about 120 -150 hz.
On the gains, turn them down all the way, on the radio fade it to the front and turn the volume up to about 3/4 wide open. Start adjusting the gain on the front speakers till they start distorting then back it down just a little. Now turn the volume down and fade the radio to the rear, duplicate the previous steps for the front.
You say this is a 5 channel amp but you don't hear the sub. Is it actually hooked up? If you have an ohm meter, disconnect the sub wires from the amp and check the sub to see if you have about 4 ohms on the wires. If you don't have a meter, there is another way to check to see if the sub is connected and not blown. Remove the sub wires from the amp and using a 1.5 volt battery, hold 1 wire to the battery (-) and tap the other wire to the bttery (+). Does the speaker make a slight thump? If so pay attention to the direction that the woofer is moving in. If the sub is moving inward, reverse the wires to the battery, now tap the wiring color that e sub, it should now be moving outward. Take note on the wiring color configuration at the battery, which color is (+) and which is (-) You will attach these to the amp to match. If not then the sub will be wired out of phase to the other speakers.
There are better ways to adjust the gains using a voltmeter but the way I described above will get you much closer to matching the output of the radio to the input of the amp.
Now with the aftermarket radio that is in there now, did they run RCA cables from the radio to the amp? If so then you will need a hi - lo level adapter to wire the REN radio into the system. If not then the amp probably has a hi - lo input that they used. The adapter will drop the radio output voltage going into the amp inputs. I would use the adapter at the radio then run RCA cables to the amp. You will need 2 of them for the 4 channels from the radio.
I would use only the crossovers that come with the new speakers and the electronic crossovers on the amp.
I hope that this is helpful to you.

]Well just want to say first off this is a great forum and to everyone who takes the time to answer, research and share the own experiences, thanks you are much appreciated. I was a member some time ago when I owned my tj and I learned so much from everyone.
Now on to my issue, I bought my wife a 08' unlimited sahara, and it had 1200 miles on it but they had changed out the factory infinity head unit to a cheap double din. They also added an aftermarket amp under the seat, but they did not upgrade factory speakers! I don't hear sound from the oem sub either. The sound is loud but distorted and the head unit is junk. Quality of sound is pitiful. I plan to switch the front speakers and tweeters out with Polk db6501 and rear with db651, also the factory sub with JL w3. Sticking with factory crossovers and current 5 channel amp. My wife wants the factory head unit back in so I picked up a oem REN non satellite unit up from a friends caravan that was wrecked that mopar says will fit. My question is what issues will I run into with this setup when going back to factory? Where is a good starting place? I'm assuming they did not upgrade correctly. I've been researching on here and seems the best setup is.... oem radio>mtx req-5>5 ch amp>upgraded speakers fr and back. That is what I plan on doing at this point. Any suggestions would be helpful. Just kind of looking for advice before I tear it all apart. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts