Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace ball joints on my 07 JK Sport.
3", 37s on beadlocks, 5.13s

I have been pricing ball joints but I want to get people's opinions while have actually used different brands.
-considered MOPAR ball joints but my cost is almost $400 and I have heard they are junk
-considered synergy, but I want to stay away from knurling. Price is more affordable.
-looked at Dana, and they're affordable, but OE replacement. Not HD.. And the price isn't much different.
-I'm liking the Teraflex HD adjustable, but I'm seeing people online say they need adjustment after every wheeling trip and every oil change. Also see a lot of the wrenches not working good. affordable, lifetime warranty.
-looked at Dynatrac but even at cost they are way more than I want to spend...

So what ball joints are y'all using and how many miles do you have on them.. I don't want to see "I put them on a week ago and I love them! "

I want to see "I have had them on for 5 years with zero issues"

·
Registered
440 Posts
I had the synergy ball joints for a couple of years. Running 37s and doing some hard wheeling, they wore out pretty quickly. Last weekend I installed some Dynatracs. The looseness and occasional death wobble is gone. Too early tell how they’ll hold up over time.

Synergy just came out with a new design. Not knurled, and rebuildable, I think. I already had the Dynatracs sitting on my shelf, so had no reason to look hard at Synergy’s new design.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
36,227 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

If you plan on keeping your Wrangler, and Wheeling it hard with 37's, then buy the best and be done with it.

Dynatac pro-steers, are still the golden standard..IMO

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I'm in between the latest design Teraflex HD and the Dynatrac, and 5 minutes ago saw a post from last month mentioning that Mopar has HD ball joints.

A friend of mine had the dealer install Dyntrac joints on his JK350 last year and said that all the issue I'm experiencing now (slight wander in the steering, though not death wobble, and occasional knocking sound) were eliminated, and are still eliminated now. It's not his daily though (he has an AEV Recruit [Ram 1500 base] for that), so he has maybe 5,000 miles on it.

I was leaning toward the Teraflex for a while due to price, but the fact they're adjustable is a very close hard no from me. My experience is that anything that is adjustable, just means you'll be resetting it frequently when it comes loose, assuming it doesn't come loose and then seize with the amount of salt MDOT uses.

Unless a bunch of people come in say the Mopar HD joints are the gods' gift to Jeepkind (or at least say no issues after multiple 10s of thousands of miles), I think I'll end up with the Dynatrac set. I prefer to be "one and done", I just wish my wallet agreed with that sentiment. Having the same trouble picking a replacement radiator since I've yet to find a post from anyone saying a particular brand offers one that fixes the root issue of the stock unit...

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Dynatrac is the way to go. I have done G2 and Mevotech prior to the Dynatrac's.

I wouldn't touch the Mopar's on anything larger than stock, which rules out the Spicers.

I ran the Mevotech Terrain Toughs on the D30, they were still in decent shape when I destroyed the axle. The Core 44 axle came with G2's which I just replaced after 18 month between 35's and 37's.

In hindsight, if I had just done the Dynatrac's the first time, I would be ahead of the game at this point.

Yes, they are expensive but being able to rebuild them in the axle for less than another new set of Teraflex or Synergy is huge and the Dynatrac's are one beefy, easily greasable ball joint.

Everyone that I know in my area that wheels hard has Dynatrac's. One runs in the 4800 Stock race class and ran KOH 2x with his Dynatracs. Now he has rebuilt his twice but with the abuse a race Jeep see's, that's a testament to their durability.

To quote a famous commercial "You can pay me now or you can pay me later".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate these replies! I did see that synergys don't last and Duratracs hold up, but I can't get over that price point. Especially now knowing how much the rebuild kits are. I could buy 4 sets of any brand ball joints to 1 Duratrac set...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dynatrac is the way to go. I have done G2 and Mevotech prior to the Dynatrac's.

I wouldn't touch the Mopar's on anything larger than stock, which rules out the Spicers.

I ran the Mevotech Terrain Toughs on the D30, they were still in decent shape when I destroyed the axle. The Core 44 axle came with G2's which I just replaced after 18 month between 35's and 37's.

In hindsight, if I had just done the Dynatrac's the first time, I would be ahead of the game at this point.

Yes, they are expensive but being able to rebuild them in the axle for less than another new set of Teraflex or Synergy is huge and the Dynatrac's are one beefy, easily greasable ball joint.

Everyone that I know in my area that wheels hard has Dynatrac's. One runs in the 4800 Stock race class and ran KOH 2x with his Dynatracs. Now he has rebuilt his twice but with the abuse a race Jeep see's, that's a testament to their durability.

To quote a famous commercial "You can pay me now or you can pay me later".

You wouldn't even consider the MOPAR HD?? I wonder what they did to make them "HD" lol

·
Registered
984 Posts
Teraflex HD. ($250) Lifetime ball joint with adjustable preload, so no reason for expensive rebuilds.
Synergy just copied them and are charging twice as much. LOL

Rare parts joints should also be considered. Ive heard great things about them but they are very expensive.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
...and finally, the RARE Parts brand gets mentioned.
I like 'em, but can only compare them to the OEMs, they've been on my rig for 35000 miles now. No complaints.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Dynatrac Pro Steers are the way to go.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
...and finally, the RARE Parts brand gets mentioned.
I like 'em, but can only compare them to the OEMs, they've been on my rig for 35000 miles now. No complaints.
You must be one of the Lucky ones. I have personally seen 3 sets of Rare Parts ball joints, new installs, be bad. There are plenty of people who bought in and have been extremely disapointed with them and the customer service on them. Try to get them replaced under warranty, not going to happen. Great idea but in actuality, I firmly believe they are a solution looking for a problem.

That lifetime warranty doesn't cover much either.

I'm not against Rare Parts, just set your expectations properly. I have their rebuildable 2.5 ton TRE's and those are a solid product.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
You wouldn't even consider the MOPAR HD?? I wonder what they did to make them "HD" lol
I'm on 37's so no, I wouldn't consider the Mopar HD's. I don't know what makes them HD either but my stock Mopar ball joints lasted only 25K and that was on stock 29" tires.

I can get the Dynatrac rebuild kit for about $125 and possibly a bit less if I shop carefully. 2 sets of Teraflex ball joints would run me just about what I paid ($555) for the Dynatrac's and on that 3rd set of Teraflex, I'm ahead of the game when I have to rebuild the Dynatrac's and I haven't fought with actually replacing the entire joint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, could I chime in here to discuss my wandering problem? 2007 wrangler unlimited. This thing was eating front tires like crazy, but steered great. I took it to a friend of mine who has a truck shop. He said I need ball joints. The jeep has 50,000 on the clock, but possibly another 50,000 being pulled behind the motorhome. the Jeep has a 2.5 inch lift, bfg tires. After the new ball joints it WANDERS horribly! NOT death wobble, just wandering. so, I replaced ALL of the front bushings, BOTH track bars, had it aligned, still wandered,,replaced the steering box, tie rods, pitman arm, and it STILL wanders...$4000.00 so far and I wished I had left it alone and just replaced tires every two years... Has anybody got an answer before I drive it off a cliff???

·
Registered
817 Posts
What are your alignment numbers? I wonder if they installed the camber correction ball joints when they weren't needed.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Need to see caster and toe specs. Are you still eating tires? If so, I’d suggest your toe is off. That could contribute to both problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts