Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure this is a beaten horse, but with new lifts on the market and the fact that I have not found the exact answer, I’ll ask a basic lift question.

I have a 2018 JK 2 door and love the way it rides and handles. I would like to lift it up a little to accommodate 285x70x17’s. I am looking at TF leveling kit and other options. I had a JK 2 door in the past that had a leveling kit and the Jeep wondered all over the road and the steering was horrible. I’m not certain if that had anything to do with the lift or something else was wrong.

I do not off-road and am doing this purely because I like the look of larger tires and a higher stance. With this said, I would prefer to keep my Jeep as is if adding a lift is going to mess with the ride and/or steering. I don’t care if the ride is a little firmer, I just don’t want the Jeep bouncing all over the road when I hit bumps or the handling to change drastically.

I’m looking for anyone that has experience with adding a small lift and how the Jeep handled before and after?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
I am sure this is a beaten horse, but with new lifts on the market and the fact that I have not found the exact answer, I’ll ask a basic lift question.

I have a 2018 JK 2 door and love the way it rides and handles. I would like to lift it up a little to accommodate 285x70x17’s. I am looking at TF leveling kit and other options. I had a JK 2 door in the past that had a leveling kit and the Jeep wondered all over the road and the steering was horrible. I’m not certain if that had anything to do with the lift or something else was wrong.

I do not off-road and am doing this purely because I like the look of larger tires and a higher stance. With this said, I would prefer to keep my Jeep as is if adding a lift is going to mess with the ride and/or steering. I don’t care if the ride is a little firmer, I just don’t want the Jeep bouncing all over the road when I hit bumps or the handling to change drastically.

I’m looking for anyone that has experience with adding a small lift and how the Jeep handled before and after?

Thanks
Anytime you change the suspension, like lifting, you change things like caster which affects how the Jeep drives. There seems to be a wide range of tolerance for building Jeeps, so what works on one Jeep may make another Jeep handle poorly.
In my opinion, you have two options. One is to try a lift that doesn't lift much. That will keep the changes to the suspension to a minimum. Options in this category include leveling kits and the Rancho 2" progressive spring lift. There are a lot of happy Jeepers with either of these options. Some end up adding either longer lower front control arms with the Rancho lift or use geometry brackets to correct caster (low caster can cause the wandering you describe). I prefer geometry brackets, but with a low lift the advantage of brackets is reduced.
Another way to go is to buy a full blown 2.5" lift that actually corrects any changes due to lifting and if done right can actually end up with a Jeep that drives better than stock.
With either option, if your Jeep doesn't drive to your liking when done it typically means you need to do it better. While a stock JK / JKU drives OK, a lifted JK / JKU should drive better if done properly.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think 2.5” is higher than I want to go. I think 285’s would look undersized with that lift. I’ll probably give the leveling kit a try and see how it goes. I really do love how this Wrangler drives compared to my last one and don’t want to screw that up.

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
Here is a 4 door on stock tires with a 2.5” TeraFlex performance spacer lift. Doesn’t look too bad really. You 285 will also be a bit bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,773 Posts
For comparison same Jeep now on 35s with 4.5” springs and 1.25” body lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,387 Posts

Thanks
The 285's look great with a TF leveling kit. If you don't like the drive afterwards, add the TF Sport Front Lower Control Arms. It will absolutely fix it. It's a little more $$ but worth it to drive right...

https://www.allensoffroad.com/Teraflex-JK-Sport-Flexarms-Front-Lower-Kit-1252000

·
Registered
57 Posts
I will have my lift on in a week. Parts are ordered. Wanted to go minimal as well.

I am going with a 1.25 inch body lift with a 1 inch coil spacer lift.

2.25 inches should clear 35's just fine and since the suspension lift is only an inch, there should be virtually no change in handling or ride quality.

I will be going flat fender shortly thereafter so I think I will be good offroad.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I installed the Rancho 2" with the 5000 shocks a couple weeks ago. At first I had a slight vibration between 55-65 mph, but I seemed to have cured that with a tire pressure adjustment. I was/am in the same boat as you, as I do not off road, and did it purely for looks. I just ordered some new tires to complete it. I think you would be hard pressed to beat the lift and what you get for the price. If you do go this route and are not happy with the feel you can always add geo correction brackets, lower control arms, etc... to dial it in

·
Registered
661 Posts
I added a Q-Tec 1.75 leveling kit & 285/70-17 tires in July. Handles great, just play with the tire pressure a little to balance between smooth ride & mpg.

Have your alignment checked when you get the new tires so you at least know where your numbers are. There is no charge to check at my local tire shop.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts