Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 JK starts fine. It runs around town without problem. If I drive it for longer distances (35 minutes or more) the lights on the dash come on and the gauges went nuts. The battery light stays on as well. If I shut it off it won’t start. The first time after 15-20 minutes it started right up. Then 2 months later (yesterday 5/22) the light came on and gauges went nuts. The truck sat for 3 hours and would not start without a jump. Then I drove it an hour home without an issue. This morning the truck started right up. I drove it all day to different places and had no issues at all. I’m completely stumped what the problem could be.

the first time it happened was after a winch was installed and lights were run to a relocated license plate. Any help would he appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2017 JK starts fine. It runs around town without problem. If I drive it for longer distances (35 minutes or more) the lights on the dash come on and the gauges went nuts. The battery light stays on as well. If I shut it off it won’t start. The first time after 15-20 minutes it started right up. Then 2 months later (yesterday 5/22) the light came on and gauges went nuts. The truck sat for 3 hours and would not start without a jump. Then I drove it an hour home without an issue. This morning the truck started right up. I drove it all day to different places and had no issues at all. I’m completely stumped what the problem could be.

the first time it happened was after a winch was installed and lights were run to a relocated license plate. Any help would he appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I assume you checked that the battery cables are in good condition and the clamps are tight. Also, never attach any terminals to the battery clamp nuts.

Welcome from Arizona.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I assume you checked that the battery cables are in good condition and the clamps are tight. Also, never attach any terminals to the battery clamp nuts.

Welcome from Arizona.
I will double check but there is a terminal on the battery that allows for accessories to be added without having to use the battery terminals directly.
And yes the cables all look like they are in good shape.

·
Premium Member
7,057 Posts
Have the battery tested by an auto parts store. If that's fine, could be the alternator, again, they test that if you pull it and take it into a store.
I don't put a lot of faith in those auto parts store diagnostics. I was having slow start issues with an older car and had Autozone test the battery. They said it was fine. Less than a week later the battery failed and I replaced it with one I bought from Firestone. I wasn't going to give Autozone my business if they couldn't properly diagnose the problem.

·
Premium Member
6,754 Posts
OP - if you still have the OEM battery in the Jeep, it is most likely the battery. Factory batteries are noted for their short life.

There was an issue with some sensors in the automatic transmissions during the 2018 MY of Wrangler JKs, but I am not aware of that issue occurring in the 2017.

·
Premium Member
6,754 Posts
zimm - that's why I value my tire dealer. They are a bit south of town and I live north of it. It's about a 24 mile drive (one way) to get there, but it's an old school tire store. They use an impact wrench to remove the wheels, but mount them with a manual torque wrench. No surprise as they have a large commercial customer base and also maintain the Sheriff's Dept patrol cars.

There waiting room has a large plate glass window that over looks the reception area and the large plate glass window that overlooks their service bays. They have been my tire dealer now for over 30 years. They may have the GY winged foot on the building but they will sell other brands, I have purchased Nitto from them and have seen BFG tires in their warehouse.

·
No Whining now....
224 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my 2013. Tapping on the battery terminals solves the no start issue. I've got some new terminals that I haven't had a chance to install yet.

Side note: Are you by chance in Big Bear California? If so, want to go wheeling this weekend?

no whining now...

·
Registered
1 Posts

Check your wiring for your winch. Maybe unhook it and see if it continues. I had a similar issue. Had a bad connection going to my aftermarket stereo.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
48,137 Posts
Check your wiring for your winch. Maybe unhook it and see if it continues. I had a similar issue. Had a bad connection going to my aftermarket stereo.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 JKU did the same thing about two years ago. The lights would go crazy but didn't have any issue with it starting unless I had the Dometic plugged in. Got a new battery and the issue went away after replacing the stock battery

·
Registered
5 Posts

It's the alternator, the brushes get short and sometimes they make contact (charging) and sometimes they don't (not charging). It's called "skipping." Take it to an alternator guy and he will replace the brushes or you can do it yourself. I had it done a year ago and it was $35 bucks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts