Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...
I'm looking into a Summer Bikini Top for my Unlimited Rubicon. I mainly need it in the Jeep in case I run into some rain.
So far my options are:
1.) Best Top Bikini Safari Style
2.) Smittybuilt Mesh Extended Top
3.) Spiderwebshade Mesh Top
4.) VDP KoolBreez Sun screen top (Link Below).

VDP KoolBreez Sun Screen Full Brief Top, American Flag - Nylon Mesh - VDP-50715-1

Let me know what you guys think

-Thanks!

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
The Spyderwebshade does help shed some water when the Jeep is moving but like any mesh it is not waterproof. The other mesh products will be similar. I have the Best Top Bikini but I rarely use it in contrast to my SWS top BUT it rarely ever rains around here.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I run the QuadraTop bimini with tonno and windstopper from April into October and the hardtop through the winter. It serves me well. The mesh covers just aren't enough for my bald head and do little good in a hard rain. QuadraTop® Bimini Top Plus, Clearview Windstopper & Tonno Cover Combo in Black Diamond for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec
Do you know what the difference is between the Hard Top option vs Soft Top option?
While my 13' has a hard top...I kept my 07' Soft Top and door surrounds... After watching some videos on Youtube I found out the surrounds have changed some (in 12' I think) where they use wires instead of the hard rubber clips..

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Do you know what the difference is between the Hard Top option vs Soft Top option?
While my 13' has a hard top...I kept my 07' Soft Top and door surrounds... After watching some videos on Youtube I found out the surrounds have changed some (in 12' I think) where they use wires instead of the hard rubber clips..
I assume if you have a soft top you already have the tailgate bar. Mine is originally equipped as a hard top so I had to get the rear bar also. If your ride is a hard top you have to include the tailgate bar which accounts for the difference in price. There are no door surrounds with this setup. I run Body Armor pipe doors anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Don't get any of the mesh tops if you want it to stop much rain.

·
Premium Member
5,706 Posts
My 2-door came with only a factory soft top. Ran that stage coach (with and without doors, no windows installed) from May - November '14. Put the windows in Nov. - Feb '15. Then, knowing I never put the windows in all summer, and knowing how easy it is to remove and reinstall the soft top, I took it off this spring, because it seems a waste to have all that weight and those two big C-Pillars of fabric in back.

Replaced with the Quadratec Bimini Top Plus. Comes to just aft of where the rollbars turn down. I've had it on since March, I think -- maybe April. Some thoughts:

1) With the door thingys you get already factory installed with the softtop, installing the Bimini is insanely easy. You stick the QTec header bar into the fabric top, fasten it with the top latches just like the OEM top, and then pull it back and hook two straps/hooks onto the sides of the Jeep, then pull them tight. Admittedly, if you didn't already have the door thingy's installed by Jeep, that might take some time.

2) The seal is good. Cabin gets no wetter from leaks than it did with the OEM top, which is to say the leaks weren't/aren't part of the top -- they are where the hard-door seals. Even at speed water doesn't come in. There is a little "sag" right above both rollbars, where the top is pulled down tight to the bars, and catches water there. It all comes off in a big waterfall when you start moving and first head downhill or put on the brakes or accelerate hard. I have a Jeep Backbone rear cargo deck so it just spills on the deck then rolls off. But if you have an open back, it's gonna get soaked from this big stream of water.

3) Bimini (and any rollbar-based frameless top) is quite a bit narrower than the framed OEM top. So much more water will enter the rear areas of the cabin when it rains, whether you're stationary or moving. Even with hard doors installed and windows up, you're likely to get misted from behind in a blowing rain. Not bad, just something to be aware of. If you have a dressed-up wife, she may not like riding with you.

4) Flapping. The rear, trailing edge of the Bimini Plus 2-door flaps like a sumbuck above about 40mph. I had the two rear straps so tight I was worried the buckles were going to break. Nothing mattered. So I cut a broom handle to length, PlastiDipped it black, and wedged it between the rollbars, right up at the trailing edge of the Bimini. Then I cut tiny slits, maybe 8 of them, along the trailing edge, right inside the "hem" of the fabric. Ran 1/4" wide black zip ties through and tied them around the broom handle. Trimmed the extra zip tie bit off, and voila! all is well. Zero flapping, and 60 days into that solution the fabric isn't tearing where I cut the slits. I was planning to have a marine upholsterer sew a broom-handle-diameter sleeve onto the back of the fabric, which would be the more elegant solution, but I wanted to test it first, and this works so well I'm not going to bother with the sewing.

It looks great! Really like the more open look of the top.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I run just the top section (i.e., no rear and side windows) of a Bestop Trektop NX together with a Bestop Duster on my JKUR. I really like this combo, because it has a sunrider section that allows me to be mostly topless in 10 seconds, yet be covered when the sun is too hot.

It keeps the front interior bone dry, even in downpours, because top has the side cables that hold the edges in the door surround gutters.

The rear is sheltered enough to stay reasonably dry if I'm moving, even in pretty heavy rain. When parked during light rains, the rear stays dry too, but when parked during downpours, the rain comes in through the rear as you would expect. It also fills the duster, which channels the water to spill into the bed and under the rear seats. Therefore, if I know its going to rain, I'll install the windows. It takes about 10 minutes.

Also, I've got the fixings for a DIY bow to support the front edge of the duster, thinking maybe that'll direct the water elsewhere. We'll see if that works.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Spyderwebshade does help shed some water when the Jeep is moving but like any mesh it is not waterproof. The other mesh products will be similar. I have the Best Top Bikini but I rarely use it in contrast to my SWS top BUT it rarely ever rains around here.
Seems like the SWS is the simplest option for a quick, easy install just enough to make it home, which is basically what I need. I know with the mesh tops its not going to be fully water proof but will it at least keep it 50% drier?
In the PNW its been fairly dry with random surprise showers here and there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I run the QuadraTop bimini with tonno and windstopper from April into October and the hardtop through the winter. It serves me well. The mesh covers just aren't enough for my bald head and do little good in a hard rain. QuadraTop® Bimini Top Plus, Clearview Windstopper & Tonno Cover Combo in Black Diamond for 07-15 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec
I like this top too. But can it be stored inside my jeep to keep as a last resort if it suddenly rains on me? I would just need to make it home, basically within a 15-30min drive.
Also since its a last resort, is the install time reasonably quick?

·
Premium Member
5,706 Posts
I like this top too. But can it be stored inside my jeep to keep as a last resort if it suddenly rains on me? I would just need to make it home, basically within a 15-30min drive.
Also since its a last resort, is the install time reasonably quick?
Yes, easily stored in the Jeep. Without the header it's nothing but a foldable piece of vinyl. With the header installed in the Bimini, you can just wrap the top around the header and it's not very big at all. Only issue is the width, since it's the width of the windshield, of course.

It could be deployed quickly if stored in back rolled around the header. Unfurl it, snap the header into the windshield brackets, just like fastening a standard hardtop. Then lay the top into place over the roll bar. At that point the interior is protected even if it's raining already. 4 straps in the middle and back have to be fastened, and a velcro sleeve gets wrapped around the rollbars right inside the doors, but you can do that once your back in the cabin and dry.

Edit: just realized you have a 4-door. Above instructions are for a 2-door, and I'm not sure of any differences, but there may be some. The picture looks the same as mine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, easily stored in the Jeep. Without the header it's nothing but a foldable piece of vinyl. With the header installed in the Bimini, you can just wrap the top around the header and it's not very big at all. Only issue is the width, since it's the width of the windshield, of course.

It could be deployed quickly if stored in back rolled around the header. Unfurl it, snap the header into the windshield brackets, just like fastening a standard hardtop. Then lay the top into place over the roll bar. At that point the interior is protected even if it's raining already. 4 straps in the middle and back have to be fastened, and a velcro sleeve gets wrapped around the rollbars right inside the doors, but you can do that once your back in the cabin and dry.

Edit: just realized you have a 4-door. Above instructions are for a 2-door, and I'm not sure of any differences, but there may be some. The picture looks the same as mine.
Awesome thanks for good description! I like the fact that it completely covers the rollbars with the velcro straps. That's exactly what I need in case of rain.

I will try this top out and see how it works.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I have a spiderweb shade. It's great for keeping the beating sun off my melon.

It's only a couple of steps above useless for stopping rain.

I like it because I can put the top up without having to take the shade out when the rain is coming.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I have a spiderweb shade. It's great for keeping the beating sun off my melon.

It's only a couple of steps above useless for stopping rain.

I like it because I can put the top up without having to take the shade out when the rain is coming.
^ this .. again, don't get a mesh shade to stop any rain

·
Registered
137 Posts
Seems like the SWS is the simplest option for a quick, easy install just enough to make it home, which is basically what I need. I know with the mesh tops its not going to be fully water proof but will it at least keep it 50% drier? In the PNW its been fairly dry with random surprise showers here and there.
I have the SWS on. Drove home in a not so hard rain storm yesterday about a 40 min. ride. It felt like being sprinkled by a lawn sprinkler at a distance when the jeep was moving. When stopped at traffic rain came through the shade. Didn't really get wet when I got home. But it definitely wouldn't help if it was pouring rain!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts