Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, great forum.
I am in the process of researching a JK purchase and have a couple of questions. This will mostly be an off road/camping/ fun vehicle. So I decided on a 2 door, manual trans Rubicon, looking at 2009-2010 models to keep the price reasonable. Issues I have seen so far are water leaks and the 6 speed trans seems to like jump out of the gear. How prevalent is this trans problem?
Other problems with these years? I'm not new to Jeeps, my dad had several when I was a kid, I have owned a CJ5 and a Cherokee back in the 80's early 90's and a J10 as well.
Any info will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
Manual transmission issues aren't that common. Test drive one and see if the shifter is wobbly or pops out of gear easily with the clutch engaged. Mine's solid as a rock.

The main thing to watch for is mods; in particular if the Jeep's already been lifted then what kind of lift is it, was it complete, properly installed, etc.

And when you buy one, unless you can get full maintenance records, proactively change all the fluids (coolant, engine oil, diff fluids, transmission oil, transfer case oil, power steering fluid, brake fluid) so you know what's really in there.

Reactions: Bud125 and jeep63

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
You are going to hear a lot of bad press on the 3.8 and some on the nsg370 (6spd). You will have to do a lot of research and digging to find the truth. I'm of no help here; mine has a 3.6.

There are still alot of 09-10 JKs on the road, so they do not die, but may need more work than 13+. You'll get better gears with a manual rubicon for sure.

The automatic is anemic in those years too; things got way better in 2013.

I believe hard tops leak more than soft tops.

If you stay on stock size tires you will likely not have a real problem with performance.

I have a 2013 10th Anniversary Rubicon JKU w/6spd. I have no problems with mine, but I shift it like a truck; slow shifts giving it time to slip into gear. The clutch creaks, but I believe that is a shift fork issue that plagues this transmission setup.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I love my 09. 166k and runs better than when I bought it. Issues are occasional higher oil consumption IMO due to on occasional sticky PVC valve. It doesn't burn any oil. Transmission is fine. My clutch creaks as well and has done so since I got it at 56k. Make sure that the diff locks and the sway bar disconnect work as well. My smartbar motor was giving me fits and I replaced it with an EVO 1087 with a Procal to shut the sensor off. Neither top leaks ( I have both). Also running a Q-tech leveling kit with 285-75-17 Nitto RG's on stock rims with 1.5" spacers. Not the fastest vehicle but I usually outrun everyone at the light. Lack of power teaches you about momentum.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Definite on the fluid changes, I do most of my own maintenance. One problem I have is coming from a northern state with limited models of what I am interested in I was looking south to make a purchase and would have to depend on a third party inspection.
I would have thought the hard top would leak less, agree on mods, less is better. Good info.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I’ve been driving my 2011 with 132k miles for over a year now. It’s got the 3.8 with the manual 6 speed and I haven’t had any issues with it popping out of gear or burning/ consuming oil. The creaky clutch is ubiquitous in these models and mine is no exception. Oh and no issues with the soft top leaking either. Been very pleased with it! Cheers and welcome!

Reactions: Bud125

·
Registered
471 Posts
To keep your budget, get a 2 door, soft top, prefers OEM and stick.

If you want 4 doors, then 2013+ has the matched engine on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love my 09. 166k and runs better than when I bought it. Issues are occasional higher oil consumption IMO due to on occasional sticky PVC valve. It doesn't burn any oil. Transmission is fine. My clutch creaks as well and has done so since I got it at 56k. Make sure that the diff locks and the sway bar disconnect work as well. My smartbar motor was giving me fits and I replaced it with an EVO 1087 with a Procal to shut the sensor off. Neither top leaks ( I have both). Also running a Q-tech leveling kit with 285-75-17 Nitto RG's on stock rims with 1.5" spacers. Not the fastest vehicle but I usually outrun everyone at the light. Lack of power teaches you about momentum.....
Well there, I just learned something. Was not even aware of the smartbar, but I am now! Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts