Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my check engine light came on. I thought is was for the 96K Maintenance. I was wrong. I took it to the dealer and got all the work done. When I picked up the jeep the guys told me the light was still on and that it kicked back a code to do with the transmission. I was told the mechanic who would normally troubleshoot the code was busy with other transmissions and could not look at my Jeep.

I told the guy the following items are also an issue:

1. Window controls in center no longer light up and the driver's window does not always go down.

2. Cruise control does not work

3. There is a ton of static in the radio

My Question is could they all be a related electrical issue? I plan on schedule the diagnostic but don't want to drop $1500+ on transmission work if that's not the root cause.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wish you would have put the code that found by the dealer...

The symptoms you mentioned point to either a loose Negative battery connection, either on the battery or on the body/engine, OR TIPM failure.

As for the Cruise Control not working, Wranglers are also known for Clock Spring failure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They did not give me the specific code just noted the torque converter. I checked the Battery terminals and body connection and everything was tight. Thanks!

The symptoms you mentioned point to either a loose Negative battery connection, either on the battery or on the body/engine, OR TIPM failure.

As for the Cruise Control not working, Wranglers are also known for Clock Spring failure.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...Got another diagnostic from mechanic and the code is P0740. He explained everything. So now I'm looking at a new transmission!

Just doesn't seem right. I purchased it used from a Jeep dealer with 54k Miles, had it serviced a jeep dealer for the last two years and now with under 100k miles I'm told the transmission is bad.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It sucks, but transmissions (and other things) do go bad.

For what it's worth, I've never had a check engine light that comes on for scheduled maintenance (other than your typical "change oil soon" or things like that). Generally a check engine light means that a sensor has picked up something that is actually outside of spec. Sometimes it's just a bad sensor or a bad wire, but sometimes it's actually a mechanical repair that needs to be made.

I also remember when I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s, if you got 100k out of a vehicle without it completely falling apart, you were very lucky.

Of course, back then you didn't pay $30k+ for a Jeep.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Ok...Got another diagnostic from mechanic and the code is P0740. He explained everything. So now I'm looking at a new transmission!

Just doesn't seem right. I purchased it used from a Jeep dealer with 54k Miles, had it serviced a jeep dealer for the last two years and now with under 100k miles I'm told the transmission is bad.
what year is your jeep? 2012 - 2015 JK's have a power terrain warranty for 5 year 100 000km

1 - 7 of 7 Posts