Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rear axle from a 2013 JK (non-Rubicon). I'm using the axle for another non-JK application, but I am getting ready to rebuild the internals. I'm looking to put 4.88 ring/pinion with an e-locker. Browsing the interwebz, I'm finding that their are essentially two e-lockers available for the JK dana 44 rear axle. One is a 32-spline Mopar/Dana branded e-locker which is the OE locker used in Rubicon models, listed for $750. The other is an 30-spline Eaton branded e-locker (otherwise identical to the Dana offering), listed for over $1100. I plan to replace the axle shafts, so I will buy whatever is needed to match the locker. I'd really like to save the $350 price difference by using the OE style locker if possible.

Does anyone know if the OE style Rubicon e-locker can be used in a non-Rubicon rear dana 44 (with matching axle shafts of course)?

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
No it can not. The bearing size is different. The Ring and pinion are the same. Axles are totally different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
You should be able to find that eaton cheaper than that. I only paid about $750 for mine. If you wanted to go air, ARB makes one for a 35 spline axle.

But like @JTPhoto_JK said, completely different setups. Housing may be the same casting but machined differently.

Edit....just looked at prices, they have gone up. That said, many forum vendors may be able to offer discounts as well to get that a bit closer to the rubi locker.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
The Rubicon OE locker uses metric bearings which is the first difference. However, the biggest difference is the Rubi E locker also requires 2 different lengths of axle shafts unlike the non-Rubi housing which has 2 exact same size axle shafts.
If you don’t NEED a rear selectable locker the Detroit TruTrac mechanical LSD is a good option.
I used an OX Locker with the electric actuator in my last Jeep and that worked really well.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I must say the oe locker price there is oddly low. But will not fit the non Rubicon d44. As stated different bearing size and it is offset and required different length rear shafts. Besides imo the functional design of the stock locker is fundamentally flawed. Failure is just a matter of time with or without using it. Go OX. There is definitely something great about a mechanical engagement. (Regardless about the actuation.

Reactions: JTPhoto JK

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Go OX. There is definitely something great about a mechanical engagement. (Regardless about the actuation.
Thanks, I have never considered Ox (not sure why, just never on my radar I guess). Are they pretty reliable/any concerns with the mechanical actuator accidentally engaging?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Thanks, I have never considered Ox (not sure why, just never on my radar I guess). Are they pretty reliable/any concerns with the mechanical actuator accidentally engaging?
It uses a shift fork to push the locker to engage and overpower the internal springs. The fork wont move on its own. You can choose to actuate the fork with a cable, air, or electronic mechanism. But the internal operations are all the same. They even offer an emergency locking device should your choice of actuation get damaged. You remove the actuator and install a plug with a spring that will lock the axle until you remove it.

Reactions: JTPhoto JK

·
Registered
726 Posts
The Rubicon OE locker uses metric bearings which is the first difference. However, the biggest difference is the Rubi E locker also requires 2 different lengths of axle shafts unlike the non-Rubi housing which has 2 exact same size axle shafts.
If you don’t NEED a rear selectable locker the Detroit TruTrac mechanical LSD is a good option.
I used an OX Locker with the electric actuator in my last Jeep and that worked really well.

That locker must be supplied by ZF - same issue with Ram 1500 trucks, odd length axle shafts with factory LSD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts