Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018JKU in Rhino (best color ever)
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for an STL for a 3d printed insert to go into the JK dashboard tray that's just under the rearview mirror. This is the little inset where you probably toss your sunglasses when you get out of the rig.

This is a long stretch, but figured I'd ask.

I'd like to modify the STL for a gmrs brack mount, and am hoping someone has a link to one. I've searched thingiverse and others, and I'm sure my search terms are missing if one exists.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
My Vector Off Road bar isn't here yet but I have already come to the same conclusion as you.

My kid's 3D printer doesn't have the printing area to handle the print you shared.(9x9)

I think the Jeep dash tray insert is at least 11 inches wide if you try and replace it with a 3d printed panel.

Reactions: jeremy-tx

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
What about this in the tray? i bought a cigarette lighter splitter (with USB) for the 12v outlet but I immediately regretted it because it sticks out too far.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too am looking for jeep accessory STL‘s

In particular I am looking for a model of the little – organizing tray that is above the radio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
Looking for an STL for a 3d printed insert to go into the JK dashboard tray that's just under the rearview mirror. This is the little inset where you probably toss your sunglasses when you get out of the rig.

This is a long stretch, but figured I'd ask.

I'd like to modify the STL for a gmrs brack mount, and am hoping someone has a link to one. I've searched thingiverse and others, and I'm sure my search terms are missing if one exists.

Thanks!!
If you're going to do this, you will need to print it in ABS or PETG. PLA will distort from the heat trapped in the Jeep, and exposure to sunlight. ABS is SUPER easy to print. Feel free to DM me, been 3d printing for 3 years now. I've got a few STL's on Thingiverse that I've placed in the Public Domain, mainly cup holder stuff for Radios and Yetti bottles

I'd recommend you download a copy of Fusion 360 (it's free for the hobbyist) and design your own. It's pretty easy to learn and a this book will be a HUGE help for you to get up to speed

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you're going to do this, you will need to print it in ABS or PETG. PLA will distort from the heat trapped in the Jeep, and exposure to sunlight. ABS is SUPER easy to print. Feel free to DM me, been 3d printing for 3 years now. I've got a few STL's on Thingiverse that I've placed in the Public Domain, mainly cup holder stuff for Radios and Yetti bottles

I'd recommend you download a copy of Fusion 360 (it's free for the hobbyist) and design your own. It's pretty easy to learn and a this book will be a HUGE help for you to get up to speed
Appreciate the advice!

I’m about to buy my third printer. Been bout 2 years since I burned up a couple of components on my last one and gave it away to a friend (had it going almost 24/7 for a couple of months)

You are 100% correct about not using PLA

·
Registered
654 Posts
Appreciate the advice!

I’m about to buy my third printer. Been bout 2 years since I burned up a couple of components on my last one and gave it away to a friend (had it going almost 24/7 for a couple of months)

You are 100% correct about not using PLA

I bought my first and then 10 days later bought my 2nd. They ran 24/7 for what seemed like forever.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought my first and then 10 days later bought my 2nd. They ran 24/7 for what seemed like forever.
This is the way.

·
Registered
2006 TJ Rubicon, 4.0, automatic
1,129 Posts
If y’all don’t mind my jumping in, how hard was it to learn the software for 3d printing? I tried to learn sketchup a while back for my woodworking plans, but it kicked my backside so much I gave up and stuck with hand drawing my plans.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If y’all don’t mind my jumping in, how hard was it to learn the software for 3d printing? I tried to learn sketchup a while back for my woodworking plans, but it kicked my backside so much I gave up and stuck with hand drawing my plans.
I actually recommend that "newbies" start with tinkercad and then after they outgrow that (some folks never do) to move up to fusion 360. Tinkercad, in particular, is quite easy to use. I showed my 10yo about a 5 mins primer on "this is this axis, this rotates, etc" and he was off and running.

Sketchup is great but IMHO, it's not powerful enough for the complexity offered (and I would put it's complexity at about a 7/10) just because it seems a little esoteric in the interface.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It, for me at least, was so hard to learn. I spent hours upon hours a day for weeks watching YouTube videos from other woodworkers showing how they do it and I couldn’t make a simple table for the life of me. I ended up just staying with drawing my plans and blueprints. I’ve toyed with the idea of trying 3d printing but am very hesitant for cost reasons. I don’t want to buy something to not end up yawing it much.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It, for me at least, was so hard to learn. I spent hours upon hours a day for weeks watching YouTube videos from other woodworkers showing how they do it and I couldn’t make a simple table for the life of me. I ended up just staying with drawing my plans and blueprints. I’ve toyed with the idea of trying 3d printing but am very hesitant for cost reasons. I don’t want to buy something to not end up yawing it much.
The mono price $200 option is surprisingly capable

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I will have to look into that once I move and have the space to have a 3d printer. I know I could come up with many different places to use it in both woodworking and on the jeep, once I can use the software of course. Me and computers haven’t been close friends since the days of the Tandy sold by radio shack. 🤣

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The mono price ones really are small and fit on a desktop

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Right now my desk is being used by the wife to supplement her desk space because of our living arrangement. Once we move I will have my desk back, thank goodness, and a space to be able to do my woodworking/working on the jeep. I have to draw my blueprints and plans on my coffee table right now.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Well, that's like asking how hard is it to clean a rifle.

There's mainly 2 software parts you'll need to learn, the design part, and the "slicer" part. The design part as it says is used to design the part, then the slicer part is used to convert the design to a format that is needed by the 3D Printer for printing.

The simple answer is not very, however, it depends on what you want to do, simple designs are easy, and complected designs will take tools that are harder to learn.

I'd take a look at TinkerCadd, play with it until you're at the point where it won't work then jump up to Fusion360. I used TC for probably a year then went to FC.

If you do buy a 3d printer, they are not Plug-n-Play, you will have a fairly steep learning curve, however, there are TONS of resources on YouTube to hold your hand and get you going. I knew ZERO about it when I started, and pretty much new as much as I needed in a few weeks.

Feel free to DM me if you need any help, have "stupid questions", or just want some advice.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I will have to look into that once I move and have the space to have a 3d printer. I know I could come up with many different places to use it in both woodworking and on the jeep, once I can use the software of course. Me and computers haven’t been close friends since the days of the Tandy sold by radio shack. 🤣
A 3d printer, Ender 3, takes up less the 24"x24"x24" or, you can get a bit crazy and suck up your whole house... My daughter finally convinced me the kitchen counter, and dinner table are not where 3d printers are ment to live; they are for guns and body armor.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I’ve had a similar talk with the wife. She hates when I bring out the guns to clean and do it in the livingroom. I use a cleaner that is completely harmless and smells ok. She just hates having them laying out all an once. It’s the same for my tools. I have them sitting around the livingroom because I don’t have a secure place to put them out back. That will change once we move though!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts