Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am planning build options, I am trying figure out which lighter weight options are worth the added expense.
For example I am looking to go with a narrow stinger front bumper, is the weight loss worth the added cost to go with Aluminum instead of steel???

What have you found to be the best weight saving pieces in your build?
What was the cost difference versus heavier options?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Tiny wheels/tires. Take out the back seats. Passenger seat? No carpet. No dash, radio, maybe a small lithium battery.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
If you are looking to save weight, do aluminum. I just put a steel oil pan skid on and I can feel the weight difference while driving.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
If you're not playing in the rocks, you can go aluminum everything.
it's my opinion that the extra strength and weight is worth it if you're doing anything with rocks though, steel can take a lot more abuse, plus the weight you're gaining with steel bumpers, skids and sliders, do help to lower you COG.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wilco Offroad offers bumpers that are a mix of steel and aluminum. My rear bumper and tire carrier should be here in the next couple weeks. I'll report back.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I love my stubby
This is a pretty in-depth question.

I think if you chop the factory front bumper to a stubby would be the lightest. half doors (if any) and no top.

Fiberglass bumper and tailgate and take off the spare tire.

Therse an aluminum tub option
#5400 JK 4 Door Body - Aqualu Industries Inc.

theres so many different ways to shave weight. Remove the skid plates,

Aluminum headers, smaller muffler.

I would suggest re-gearing to a lower gear ratio and it my preform as if it were lighter.

-james

·
Registered
784 Posts
I went stubby front, though steel is still not heavy. Chopped rear cross member off for stubby rear bumper, no spare, no back seat, muffler delete, aluminum wheels, AT tires instead of heavy MT's. Go synthetic winch robe instead of heavy steel cable. Removed the "pretty" rubi rails and installed JCR rock rails, same weight but more protection. I'm still "heavy" but can't remove anymore weight at the risk of losing everyday street friendliness. I'm thinking seats next if aftermarket are lighter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wilco was recently sold. They totally suck now. I just had a nightmare experience with them. I will never buy their products again.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
I wanted to go all aluminum but i prefer to have some parts steel... rock sliders, front/rear bumper. All my steel armor has taken a beating... offroading and an accident... None of which had to be replaced.

OE Front w/ tow hooks 36.4lbs
OE Rear 15 lbs
OE tire carrier 20lbs
OE Willys wheels/tires 365lbs (25 wheels, 48 tires x5)
436.4lbs

PS Brawler Lite 64lbs
Brawler Rear 57lbs
Maximus Tire Carrier 45lbs
Maximus add ons 10lbs
Hi Lift Jack 30lbs
rotopax 21lbs w/ gas
XHD wheels w/ KO2's 492.5lbs (32 wheels, 66.5 tires x5)
XHD wheel protectors 30lbs (6lbs each x 5)
WKO Sliders 116
Warn Zeon 10s 75
940.5lbs

·
Registered
953 Posts
Why so intent on shaving weight. Its never gonna be a fast vehicle with either the 3.8 or 3.6? What are you gonna use it for?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Jeep Swag/Dominion Offroad Bare Naked Jeep JK Crawler Extreme Stubby Bumper.
ACE JK Hammertown Rear Armor.
I went Minimalist! You will need to purchase the mounting hardware for the Bare Naked Stubby Bumper nut that's minor.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Swapping our the stock muffler is a good -15lbs vs aftermarket installed by resonator. More if you dump at the axle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts