Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the side emblem on the 2015 Unlimited Dragon Edition. Can anyone out there translate it? Is it JEEP, DRAGON, CROUCHING TIGER?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's not Japanese or Korean. I'm not familiar enough with Mandarin characters to know if it's Chinese.

2014 15 not sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen it too often where people get tshirts with Asian characters that say something ridiculous on them, but they don't realize it.

I've seen COW, TEA POT, COCK on shirts in Hawaii that look cool to unsuspecting tourists.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I tried it on two different visual translators on my phone. They detected it as Chinese but it came out as gibberish.

·
Registered
232 Posts
This is the side emblem on the 2015 Unlimited Dragon Edition. Can anyone out there translate it? Is it JEEP, DRAGON, CROUCHING TIGER?
It's not conventional Chinese brush strokes, so it may be difficult to track the character the Jeep designer was looking to emulate. Typically you see variations in thickness/width to the lines of the character, where this one is uniform.

Just Googled it--it's an attempt at the Chinese character for "Dragon"

http://www.taiwanese-secrets.com/chinese-symbol-for-dragon.html

·
Registered
360 Posts
I shall have the answer soon! I am currently stationed in Japan and my wife works with a local on base. I just sent the photo for her to show to her friend. Stand by for the answer tomorrow.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think it looks pretty cool. Thanks for the info Tide-GP
Oh, it's cool no doubt! I might be jaded because I know people that have studied and practiced the "calligraphy" of Chinese writing for years. Each stroke is significant--it would have been nice if Mopar had captured a bit more of that elegance. I was surprised the Dragon edition survived this long as well--it's my favorite "street Jeep" configuration.

Just realized I sent wrong link earlier--I saw the character in the Wikipedia link for Dragons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_dragon

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Well I guess I'll need a better translation app if I ever visit China. lol

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as language, Japan has been the easiest to visit in Asia, China was difficult. No one spoke English, and the only english letters I saw were on my boarding pass.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
As far as language, Japan has been the easiest to visit in Asia, China was difficult. No one spoke English, and the only english letters I saw were on my boarding pass.
Only foreign countries I've been to were Germany and Saudi Arabia. English was pretty common at least in the places I visited. Although one guy on a train in Munich did continue to talk to me in German after I said in lousy German that I didn't speak it. haha

·
Registered
78 Posts
It isn't "an attempt" at the character, it's the old school, stylized way of writing it. It's pronounced like you're asking a question with a rising tone, i.e., "lóng?".

1 - 20 of 22 Posts