Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Wanting to get some advice on what i should do. Couple days ago i blew up my 3.8L. :D Ive been looking at new replacement 3.8L motors but then got to thinking why not just sink a bunch of money into a bigger heart. After a little bit of research i found a swap thread for a 350 which i already have in my garage just waiting to be used.

What do you guys think about it? Me and a buddy could surely handle the wrench work. Leave some thoughts and or advice if you would please. Greatly appreciated! :punk:

·
Registered
519 Posts
A 350 would be sick. Gut your CPU. Go carberated and simple wiring. No bs to deal with. Mate it with the 465 4 speed Manuel . That would be a sick build

·
Registered
670 Posts
Was the engine cover under warranty?? Also check with your insurance, it might be covered under that as well. You would be surprised at what you insurance actually covers. If a part fails like radiator causing your engine to blow all you would be out is the cost of the radiator. I had a door chime fail causing an electrical fire. All repairs were covered except for the price of the door chime.

What about a hemi swap, AEV has a direct bolt in that i believe is $5500.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welp,

It took a breath of water and put a rod through the case. Idk if insurance covers that? ;) I was thinking maybe i could clean it up and say i swerved for a deer and ended up in the swamp. Just a thought though ;)

Ive been looking at the bolt up hemi kits. If i could get a good price on a donor truck, i wouldn't think twice.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've often wondered why jeep didn't offer the 4.7L from the dakota/ram in the wrangler.

The newer 4.7 is around 300 hp (little more hp than current 3.6L pentastar). I bet you'd get the same fuel economy from 4.7 as you get with you 3.8L. I got 16 mpg in my 02 quad cab dakota which is what I get in my 08 JKU.

I've seen older wranglers with 5.9L installed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a story you may be interested in.
How To Score a 500HP LS Engine for FREE

I promise its not spam or anything, just a story I thought of when I read this.
Not a bad way to build a motor. :punk:

I've often wondered why jeep didn't offer the 4.7L from the dakota/ram in the wrangler.

The newer 4.7 is around 300 hp (little more hp than current 3.6L pentastar). I bet you'd get the same fuel economy from 4.7 as you get with you 3.8L. I got 16 mpg in my 02 quad cab dakota which is what I get in my 08 JKU.

I've seen older wranglers with 5.9L installed.

The 5.7 hemi swap is sweet and AEV makes a kit for the DIY'r. Very tempting matter o fact ;)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
One of the 4X4 magazines last winter had an article about swapping in a MOPAR 360, they had to have the electronic wire harness "fixed", but that wasn't too bad a deal.
Seemed to happy with the swap in the end....It would be nice to have the added power, especially on those long uphill grades...
"BH"

·
Registered
995 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
IMHO, the best motor to put in a JK would be the Ford Ecoboost 3.5l. It's smaller/lighter than the 3.8 and produces 365 hp and 420 lb ft of torque. Not to mention the fuel economy would be improved. It would be nice if there was a kit produced to make this kind of swap.

·
Registered
995 Posts
about the cost of a salvaged Dodge Ram, lots of bloody knuckles, time, space & tools you never knew you needed

·
Registered
276 Posts
So does the AEV hemi swap include the engine? Or is the price on their website just for the parts needed to install a hemi?
thats the cost for the parts, Labor + crate engine price are different, i think you do get a bit back for the core charge tho

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Just to be safe check your state laws before commiting to a swap or buying a used motor.

Here in WA state you cannot put an engine older then the year your vehicle was manufactured in unless you vehicle is at least 25 years old. Stupid emissions law I know.
71 Camaro put whatever the heck you want in it.
2009 Wrangler options are limited to 2009 and newer motors. I believe this includes re-manufactured blocks and just replacing the same motor with an older one.

Swapping a diesel engine into a non-factory diesel could be a problem as well.
Better to check your local laws first.

In Alaska you do whatever you want, no emissions.

·
Registered
258 Posts
tklein42 said:
Hey guys,

Wanting to get some advice on what i should do. Couple days ago i blew up my 3.8L. :D Ive been looking at new replacement 3.8L motors but then got to thinking why not just sink a bunch of money into a bigger heart. After a little bit of research i found a swap thread for a 350 which i already have in my garage just waiting to be used.

What do you guys think about it? Me and a buddy could surely handle the wrench work. Leave some thoughts and or advice if you would please. Greatly appreciated! :punk:
Just get a Grooms rebuilt engine and go with it.
Lifetime warranty. That's the cheapest way out.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts