Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather is getting nicer...!! I (and mostly my wife) is curious how dependable the factory Anti-theft security is on our new 2016 JKU. We have a hard top, so when the top comes off; I plan on it being off a few days.

Sure, we'll lock the center and glove boxes. Won't keep anything of value in it, or in plain view. BUT, we do have the 430N radio with Nav and Alpine premium speakers. So, at a glance, it could look nice and worth messing with. So, how secure is the radio, ect from getting nabbed? Is there a factory installed kill switch, ect?

I appreciate any insight on the specs to the factory security system.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
The weather is getting nicer...!! I (and mostly my wife) is curious how dependable the factory Anti-theft security is on our new 2016 JKU. We have a hard top, so when the top comes off; I plan on it being off a few days.

Sure, we'll lock the center and glove boxes. Won't keep anything of value in it, or in plain view. BUT, we do have the 430N radio with Nav and Alpine premium speakers. So, at a glance, it could look nice and worth messing with. So, how secure is the radio, ect from getting nabbed? Is there a factory installed kill switch, ect?

I appreciate any insight on the specs to the factory security system.
Thanks!!
The radio would take about 10 seconds to rip out, not sure how easy it would be for them to get the security code though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
When was the last time you heard of anyone's stereo getting stolen? Although it would be quick, it is not as quick as grabbing something else just sitting in a vehicle. You should not lock you glove box or center unless you want them broken. Just make sure you keep your registration and such hidden in an unlikely place as that is what they go for, for you address, so they can break into your house while you are gone.
I always figure, with the top off when I park, roll up windows, and lock doors. It is much more obvious to passersby that someone crawling into your vehicle is not right, and might do something about it, and thieves may not go through the trouble.
Just be smart about where you park it with the top off and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
10 sec, really?

The radio would take about 10 seconds to rip out, not sure how easy it would be for them to get the security code though.
ocd_dave
10 secs... that's alarming. I would hope even the factory anti-theft would trip if wires are being tinkered with... too much to ask, I guess. An open air vehicle, I would suspect a better factory anti-theft than most (just jingle the door handle or steering wheel)
(nice color, btw)

·
Registered
247 Posts
I ran a soft top year round, with the top up I would lock my doors out of habit but with the top down or off I would leave everything unlocked if I even had the doors on at all. Nobody was looking to steal my garbage 2007 Jeep stereo and I would keep only a few spare bulbs for brake lights etc. in my glove box. I purchased a lockbox that went under the driver's seat to store my registration and anything else important (and small). I never saw any evidence of anyone messing with or trying to rummage through my Jeep.

·
Registered
376 Posts
It would be really sweet if somehow someone could put a mod in place or a sensor where if they is pressure or weight on either front or drive seat with the alarm activated, it would set off the alarm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts