Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 08 JK. When I drove it on 4H, it works fine going straight but when I turn in either direction the front tires have to hop like it is locked and not a limited slip differential. Is this common? The front is a Dana 30.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
The sharper the turn, the greater the effect.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Your Jeep has a transfer case that literally "locks" the front and rear outputs (what your drive shafts are bolted to) together when you engage 4wd. When you turn, the front and rear tires need to turn at different rates in order to experience no binding. But with the front and rear drive shafts being forced to rotate together, the tires can't achieve this. That's the bind you feel. This has nothing to do with the diffs....Quit using 4wd on a high-friction surface. If you feel the bind, you probably didn't need 4wd in the first place.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
When in 4Lo even the open diff has enough tension to act like that.

To check for open diff.
With transfer case in 4lo transmission in Park or 1st gear manual, engine off.
Jack up front end both wheels off ground. Or on hoist.
- spin driverside wheel, passenger side wheel should turn the opposite way.

- LSD will act the same a open diff and so will manual locker that is unlocked.

- locked diff or auto locker will not turn.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Your Jeep has a transfer case that literally "locks" the front and rear outputs (what your drive shafts are bolted to) together when you engage 4wd. When you turn, the front and rear tires need to turn at different rates in order to experience no binding. But with the front and rear drive shafts being forced to rotate together, the tires can't achieve this. That's the bind you feel. This has nothing to do with the diffs....Quit using 4wd on a high-friction surface. If you feel the bind, you probably didn't need 4wd in the first place.
This!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts