Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am growing tired of the constant bashing of fuel economy I read here by this forums members. I've owned 4wd pickup trucks since I got my drivers license in 1976. I finally got my 1st Jeep (2014Wrangler JK) and I get 18 mpg @ town and 23 mpg hwy. I have 3.21 gears, NEVER stomp on it, and keep hwy speeds under 67 mph. Bottom line is I LOVE the fuel economy I'm getting! There, rant over.:beerme:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
My JK actually gets better mileage than my Jaguar XF.. AND, the Jeep can get over the rocks and climb hills way better than the Jag!

I bought each one for a specific purpose.. and i dont give a flyin-fudge what anyone else says or thinks..

·
Registered
434 Posts
Just installed 35's. Was getting about 18 mpg, in the three days since install it's down to 16.7. While I would love better fuel mileage, I knew what I was getting into before I bought it. Can't sweat the small stuff, I just work more overtime.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I am getting 11mpg in a brand new jk so, must be nice. Granted, it is well below freezing here and I've had to use 4wd a lot but I thought I'd get a little better in city driving. Not yet.

I am growing tired of the constant bashing of fuel economy I read here by this forums members. I've owned 4wd pickup trucks since I got my drivers license in 1976. I finally got my 1st Jeep (2014Wrangler JK) and I get 18 mpg @ town and 23 mpg hwy. I have 3.21 gears, NEVER stomp on it, and keep hwy speeds under 67 mph. Bottom line is I LOVE the fuel economy I'm getting! There, rant over.:beerme:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm getting about 16-17 mpg in a well congested area with occasional traffic. Hopefully when it warms up that will improve. Is it true that warmer temps mean better fuel economy?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I never have and hopefully never will buy a vehicle for the MPG rating. You gotta pay to play as far as I am concerned. I heard that adding a snorkel would increase my MPG's but I can't tell a difference. Still at 12.7 combined. Don't care and you'll never hear me complain about it. I'll gladly get 12 MPGs over the shame that would come with driving a Prius.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
88 MPG? Did you push your jeep out of the back of a plane?
Down a hill in neutral??!

I'm getting about 16-17 mpg in a well congested area with occasional traffic. Hopefully when it warms up that will improve. Is it true that warmer temps mean better fuel economy?
I have noticed as my tire pressure decreases in the cold weather my 88 mpg's decrease a little...

·
Registered
586 Posts
I look at it as dollars spent. Lets just say a 16mpg JK vs 25mpg "practical" vehicle (overall tank avg) at 15,000 miles/yr and say ~$4/gal gas is a tad more than $1300 per year in fuel. In reality there's the capability/durability and cheaper insurance and lesser depreciation to factor in too.

In my case, driving a smaller "practical" car vs my Wrangler for work I save $500+/yr in insurance by driving my Jeep. So I spend ~$800 more per year (less than $3/day) to drive and enjoy my Jeep vs a crapbox. Then I factor in the depreciation comparison and the Jeep Wrangler breaks even or wins if I compare new vs new.

Forget the Xmpg vs Ympg and put the overall dollars and ownership value into perspective.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts