Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have a 2008 Jeep unlimited x. I am planning on figuring a way for heated steering using carbon tape, silver glue that’s about it. I know roughly the current draw it’ll need I’m curious if tapping power off the cruise or horn circuit for 12v and a little current draw will work? Anyone have any specs on what they receive and can handle? I only need about 1-2 amps max, and I’m okay with splicing and what not. Just before I start getting it apart I want reassurance if the circuit will provide or handle it? Assuming they are more than just communication wires. What size wire is running to the horn or cruise?

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Most if not all the steering wheel wiring is CanBus wiring delivering signals to CanBus. None of it that I know of carries power, and the wiring isn't really built to be used for power. The only power wire I know of in the wheel is power for the lighting and I doubt that carries enough to run a length of heat tape

The horn button fires a can bus signal to the tipm under your hood and that in turn supplies power to the horn. This is the same for pretty much everything else in the steering wheel.

The air bag is on its own circuit but messing with that is just going to throw codes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts