Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1242 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Question, does anybody NOT have this issue? I have tried to replicate the hood flutter since i got my jeep back in April, and i have YET to experience it (I drive behind semis on the freeway, purposefully drive fast 2-lane roads with semis passing, etc.) nothing yet.....
Two posts up. Never saw it on my wife's Jeep, but this weekend driving my Jeep on the exact same route in that we've driven several times with hers, I literally expected the hood to come off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Two posts up. Never saw it on my wife's Jeep, but this weekend driving my Jeep on the exact same route in that we've driven several times with hers, I literally expected the hood to come off.
Good to know, thanks. I don't drive the jeep that much (About 4K miles a year). Ill add to my list of stuff to do. lol

·
Registered
178 Posts
Never seen any movement (yet?) on my hood - 17 JKU Recon, 30k miles. I do have the Mopar hood lock, and I've done the 10A hood vent mod... Maybe those keep the vibrations down or something.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,709 Posts
Look again at the photo in Post #2. That is a Mopar Power Dome Hood (aka the 10A Hood) which came on Rubicon Hard Rocks and Recons (also on other special edition JK/JKUs like my Chief). My hood on my '17 Chief was more active than my '15 Sahara or '03 ever were, but both would do a dance in the right conditions.

And yes the hoods that came up ripped right past the hood catch when the latches failed, so the hood lock won't do a thing to keep the hood from doing this since the locks use the standard hood catch hook already installed, they locks just keep you from releasing the catch hook until you unlock it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Never seen any movement (yet?) on my hood - 17 JKU Recon, 30k miles. I do have the Mopar hood lock, and I've done the 10A hood vent mod... Maybe those keep the vibrations down or something.
I wouldn't call it vibration, now that I've seen it. It slams UP, HARD to whatever limits the movement (probably the latch), then slams DOWN, also HARD. I wasn't kidding when I said there was often a loud BANG noise. Now this was in unusually high-winds, plus 2-lane roads passing semi trucks at ~60 MPH, but mere vibration would have been welcome compared to what I saw.

Oh and when I installed the RR latches on my Recon, the factory latches (the thin piece that wraps around the edge of the hood) had scrubbed off paint. I definitely didn't see that when I installed the latches on my wife's Sport. The nuts were completely tight but it was still moving a lot, apparently.

I'm now firmly in the camp that this is negligence on the part of FCA to not recall these things.

·
Super Moderator
22,455 Posts

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Hood lock helps but does not eliminate it on my recon.

·
Super Moderator
22,455 Posts
My previous 3 jk’s have all done it just as my recon has. Bolt hood lock helped but did not completely stop the flutter. Daystar straps did however.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I noticed the flutter a few weeks ago for the first time. It may have been caused by removing the air dam under the car and removing the cheap plastic grill inserts i bought. Both reduced air flow under the hood. Read on here about the Day Star replacement hood latch rubber. After installation took it for a test, and no flutter.

One note though... The instructions say NOT to install in temps below 70. Well not being one to follow directions, I installed them in cold weather. All went well until I tried to close the latches. I got it done, but dang the effort required. Rubber does not like to stretch in cold weather.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I went to Woodhouse in Blair Nebraska I have a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and the hood strap broke 1 of them and it was just the rubber bought the extended warranty and they said nothing about my $100 deductible which I didn't know I had and they only fixed 1 of the hood latches for $100 and the advisor Jethro Combs I think told me not to worry about the other hood latch that it won't break. I felt like they treated me like Family alright their slogan is we will treat you like "FAMILY" ( YEAH THE WAY THEY TREATED ME WAS LIKE A LONG LOST COUSIN) THEY BENT ME OVER WITH NO LUBE I could have replaced both of them for $19 or for what I spent I could have got the Metal Locking latches. DO NOT GO TO WOODHOUSE IN BLAIR AND IF YOU DO TELL JETHRO COMBS HE IS RIPPING PEOPLE OFF

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm guessing I've missed it in looking through the board, but what does that hood spring actually do? Does it "help" with the hood as it hits the frame?

I had hood flutter when I drive a divided highway, especially in high winds. Very unsettling. I installed the Daystar latches the other day. Haven't been in a situation where I would have experienced hood flutter. But I'm glad I did it. Latches are much stiffer than the OEM ones.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I’m guessing anyone that hasn’t had the issue doesn’t drive on the highway often. I can’t think of an extended highway commute where it hasn’t happened. It was a regular occurrence in both my TJs and my ‘07/‘14 JKs. I just put a set of Topfire latches on my recently acquired ‘15. Goodbye flutter.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
If you want to eliminate hood flutter for good get a set of Drake Off Rood Locking Hood Latches. When I bought mine the locking feature was not out when I bought mine. IMO the look great and and work fantastic.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I was driving to Moab last Summer and was getting terrible hood flutter. I ordered JL latches while I was in Moab and changed them as soon as I got home. I haven't had an issue since then. I was driving to Vegas a couple weeks ago in 40+ mph winds and while the Jeep was getting hammered pretty good, my hood stayed stable. Cheap, effective solution.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I have only experienced hood flutter - no hard bang noises or anything like that.
I originally installed the Daystar latch rubbers but they were way too stiff, even when warm. It was apparent that the rubber bumpers that the hood rests on were going to split eventually from the excessive force. So I removed them and installed a heavy-duty Ty-Rap on each latch. They haven't moved since.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
I bought Daystar replacement latches and they came with a orange/red fluid in a plastic vile. None of the instructions or videos I've watched say anything about the fluid. Does anyone know what it is and how to use it?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yes, it is thread locker to be used on the threaded 'pins'.

·
Registered
51 Posts
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited sport WOODHOUSE BLAIR NEBRASKA "JETHRO COMBS" IS A FREAKING JERK BOUGHT EXTENDED WARRANTY AND HE SAID MY DEDUCTIBLE WAS $100 AFTER WORK WAS DONE. 1 RUBBER HOOD LATCH REPLACED HAD 2 WAIT 2 HOURS FOR THEM TO DRIVE TO GET THE PART AND WASN'T INFORMED OF THE DEDUCTIBLE UNTIL WORK WAS COMPLETE! COULD HAVE REPLACED MY HOOD LATCHES FOR $90 MAXIUM METAL LOCKING HOOD LATCHES ( DON'T GO TO WOODHOUSE CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE IN BLAIR NEBRASKA

·
Registered
893 Posts
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited sport WOODHOUSE BLAIR NEBRASKA "JETHRO COMBS" IS A FREAKING JERK BOUGHT EXTENDED WARRANTY AND HE SAID MY DEDUCTIBLE WAS $100 AFTER WORK WAS DONE. 1 RUBBER HOOD LATCH REPLACED HAD 2 WAIT 2 HOURS FOR THEM TO DRIVE TO GET THE PART AND WASN'T INFORMED OF THE DEDUCTIBLE UNTIL WORK WAS COMPLETE! COULD HAVE REPLACED MY HOOD LATCHES FOR $90 MAXIUM METAL LOCKING HOOD LATCHES ( DON'T GO TO WOODHOUSE CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE IN BLAIR NEBRASKA
Did you read what you signed? I've bought a Viper, a Ram, a Nitro, and a Mercedes from Bob Woodhouse and Bill Pemberton, all delivered cross-country to my front door. Never had a problem.

1181 - 1200 of 1242 Posts