Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1201 - 1220 of 1242 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
My previous 3 jk’s have all done it just as my recon has.
I had flutter on all 3 of my previous JKs and several times it was VERY bad in similar situations mentioned by many - on the highway with cross winds and/or encountering passing vehicles. I have a 2016 JKU Hard Rock with the 10A hood and I never experienced flutter with it. However, right after I got it one of the first things I did was install the JL latches as mentioned in previous posts and it's never budged up to as much 85mph on the highway and the Jeep is lifted with an AEV 3.5" Dual Sport kit. My $.02

·
Registered
546 Posts
On a recent windy drive, I really thought my hood was going to flip up on me and I was actively planning what to do in the case of an emergency. Right after that trip I put the JL styles on and it hasn't moved since.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I had flutter on all 3 of my previous JKs and several times it was VERY bad in similar situations mentioned by many - on the highway with cross winds and/or encountering passing vehicles. I have a 2016 JKU Hard Rock with the 10A hood and I never experienced flutter with it. However, right after I got it one of the first things I did was install the JL latches as mentioned in previous posts and it's never budged up to as much 85mph on the highway and the Jeep is lifted with an AEV 3.5" Dual Sport kit. My $.02
Is the 10A hood also known as the "power dome" hood? I ask because I have a 2017 JKUR with the Hard Rock package and that hood (shown below)

My daily commute puts me on the highway, and although a lot of it is very slow stop-and-go, some of it is open and the speeds fairly high. I did get some hood movement. It was enough to alarm me over about 65mph, although my latches didn't fail. I put aftermarket latches on (sometime after this picture was taken) and that was the end of it. (I forget the brand at the moment, but it was one of the common ones, and if I look back in this thread, I probably posted about it)

·
Premium Member
7,660 Posts
IMO get these, one and done https://www.quadratec.com/products/12600_0202.htm. I have the Drake version and you can even now get them with locks but the lock version seems to have a few issues. They look good and there really is not much that can fail.

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
IMO get these, one and done https://www.quadratec.com/products/12600_0202.htm. I have the Drake version and you can even now get them with locks but the lock version seems to have a few issues. They look good and there really is not much that can fail.
These are the ones I have (Drake version). I like them a lot and I have had absolutely NO hood flutter and look great. But pro-tip: I ordered them with black turnbuckles about a year ago and the tops have faded into a very nice looking gun metal gray while the undersides have stayed a nice glossy black. Sadly, I would rather have them back to black so watch out for this!

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
Is the 10A hood also known as the "power dome" hood? I ask because I have a 2017 JKUR with the Hard Rock package and that hood (shown below)

"Power Dome" hood is also on some special editions. For example my Chief (a limited volume special edition on a Sahara base) has that hood along with 17" recon wheels (in silver) and the BFG KM tires. The original 10A hood may not have had the small underside hole in the plastic grid and matching opening in the underhood blanket that later versions do.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stop replacing your latches and get a hood lock from a reputable brand. You add some security and solve the flutter problem.

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
This is scary..

I met a guy once who made himself a safety net...essentially a small chain attached to the hood and a dog chain clip that attached to a loop he attached above the radiator...

I myself like the hood pin look, it might look good on the Jeep...

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
I hated worrying about it. In Arizona, rubber of any kind degrades fast. I have 3 JKUR's in the Family. On my 2 we Installed hood locks and that worked really well. For extra piece of mind and "cool factor", we installed the JL latches on them. Doesn't budge one bit now. On the third one in the family, we installed just the OEM Mopar Lock(part number: 82213051AB) and it has been good enough. He says there is no movement of his hood after that was installed but we did it more for security on a long distance trip initially, not for hood flutter.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I installed a Bolt hood lock and it definitely solved the "flutter" till up to~ 100mph air speed.
During my recent trip with strong head winds I decided that hood lock alone is not enough, it "locks" the factory "hook" which doesn’t look very strong.
At 80 mph with 40 mph wind gusts i could see the hood sheet metal bulge in front of the cowl the front of the hood was "pivoting" on the center "axle". IDK the breaking point of stock latches and the lock but I had the feeling I’m almost there, had to slow down to 60-65 mph. I would recommend some rigid latches in adition to the hood lock.
Planning to order JL latches after the flu hopefully ends.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I installed a Bolt hood lock and it definitely solved the "flutter" till up to~ 100mph air speed.
During my recent trip with strong head winds I decided that hood lock alone is not enough, it "locks" the factory "hook" which doesn’t look very strong.
At 80 mph with 40 mph wind gusts i could see the hood sheet metal bulge in front of the cowl the front of the hood was "pivoting" on the center "axle". IDK the breaking point of stock latches and the lock but I had the feeling I’m almost there, had to slow down to 60-65 mph. I would recommend some rigid latches in adition to the hood lock.
Planning to order JL latches after the flu hopefully ends.
No experience with the Bolt brand, but the TUFFY brand holds the hood down tight (you need to press the hood down to unlock it. I have not experienced the pivoting flutter issue. At the same time, maybe I have not been in the type of winds you experienced. Time will tell.

·
Registered
944 Posts
No experience with the Bolt brand, but the TUFFY brand holds the hood down tight (you need to press the hood down to unlock it. I have not experienced the pivoting flutter issue. At the same time, maybe I have not been in the type of winds you experienced. Time will tell.
Bolt is just bloking the hook no extra pressure or anything (I think is a copy of Mopar lock). When locked the hood still have some play up and down, not enough to reach with your fingers though.

·
Registered
156 Posts
the bolt and mopar hood lock do not provide any relief from hood flutter. the hood can still be moved up and down easily while the jeep is parked.

1201 - 1220 of 1242 Posts