Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1221 - 1238 of 1238 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m wondering how many experiencing hood flutter have: a) removed the lower air dam, and b) No grill inserts and other that might reduce flow through the grill. I had never really noticed the flutter until I took out the plastic grill inserts (I had put in), and removed the air dam.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sounds like you have enough money to not have to worry about a measly $100 must be nice
One hundred dollars does sound kinda steep, but for those with the moolah it sure beats several hundred or thousands in repairs, serious injury or worse. Fortunately, it looks like there are serviceable, less expensive alternatives.

the bolt and mopar hood lock do not provide any relief from hood flutter. the hood can still be moved up and down easily while the jeep is parked.
I have Mopar hood lock 82213051AD, and all it does is block external access to the hood latch. It does nothing to strengthen the latch mechanism. Even if the latch holds, the sides of the hood can still lift up.

I had my first experience with hood flutter recently when a storm was blowing earlier this year. The wind was howling in off of San Francisco Bay when I was driving on the freeway. Ho lee fook, that was a little unnerving, you guys aren't exaggerating. Rugged Ridge latches are on the way. Mine is a stock JK Sport, so the hood flutter was not due to any mods.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I’m wondering how many experiencing hood flutter have: a) removed the lower air dam, and b) No grill inserts and other that might reduce flow through the grill. I had never really noticed the flutter until I took out the plastic grill inserts (I had put in), and removed the air dam.
I have never had grill inserts and I kept my air dam on. Still had flutter crazy bad on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
I only had flutter once, while driving through the edges of a hurricane, and I still have my lower air dam in place and no grill inserts. It was enough to get me to invest in a set of Drake Offroad hood latches, though. No flutter after that, very solid.

·
Registered
10,202 Posts
I never had any flutter, though I have the 10A hood (if that makes ANY difference). This was even driving yesterday during a major wind storm that was toppling trees and knocking off chimney tops.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I never had any flutter, though I have the 10A hood (if that makes ANY difference). This was even driving yesterday during a major wind storm that was toppling trees and knocking off chimney tops.
Did you cut out the bottom of the plastic pieces to increase airflow?

I have the same hood and have seem some dramatic movement from it on windy days. I was wondering if I opened up the holes some if it would help.

·
Registered
939 Posts
It all depends on the wind direction, from my expirience headwinds are the worst, if it comes from 10 or 2 no flutter whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts

I have the same hood and have seem some dramatic movement from it on windy days. I was wondering if I opened up the holes some if it would help.
I did, and it doesn't.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,202 Posts

No.

When I am off-roading, in warmer temps, I just pop those pieces out. However, when driving on roadways or highways, they are in place.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I experienced my first hood flutter a couple of days ago, LOL kind of. It does not seem like anything bad will happen just annoying and a bit scary.

What are your thoughts on the $33 hood latches? Are they a buy? I am thinking about picking them up today.

About two months into them (or so) and the hood hasn't moved at all. I'm happy with them, I'd go for it if you're on the fence.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got my 12 JKUS back in 2015 in Central Florida. I would drive it around town and to Georgia, NC and South Florida - every time we were on the highway the hood would flutter. If it was windy or a semi passed the amount of bounce terrified me. The first thing I bought for the Jeep was a pair of Rugged Ridge latches. The hood has absolutely no bounce and I'm not terrified anywhere that something may happen when going on road trips.
For me, well worth the $100 I spent on them.

·
Premium Member
6,685 Posts
I have had it in my 2003 TJ Rubicon - until I replaced the hood latches. I had it in my 2015 Sahara until I traded it off on the 2017 Chief and I had it on that Jeep until I replaced the hood latches. I didn't think that much of it until I saw the photos at the beginning of this thread. I had seen another tread that did not get near as much coverage for the hood didn't come completely up. Only one (driver's side) latch let go and the hood folded up from the left corner to the center.

All three Jeep have (and in the case of the 2015 had) all of the air damns the factory put on (TJs didn't have them) and the grilles were just the way they were when they left the factory. The Chief has the 10A hood with the vents (Sahara didn't).

My conclusion is that it doesn't matter if you have vented or non vented hood, grille with or without inserts (Chief came that way, Sahara did not) or with or without air damn. What matters is the air flow over the hood. Trucks passing will disrupt that suddenly and just as suddenly when they have passed it abruptly is restored. Most of the time on the highway at 70, it's just a little up and down vibration that goes away when you slow down to 65. (at least in most of my incidents). But there's always that one time. l

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
You can install a set of JL hood latches on a JK and that will eliminate the problem. I originally replaced the OEM latches on my wife's 2013 Sahara with a set of Rampage locking latches. After about a year, one of them stuck in the unlocked position. Fortunately, it still latched but would no longer lock. I learned that Rampage customer service is non-existent after they have your money so I eventually tossed those Samsonite luggage-looking things in the trash and installed a set of JL latches. They are available in either locking or non-locking versions, although I chose the non-locking ones. No hood flutter.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You can install a set of JL hood latches on a JK and that will eliminate the problem. I originally replaced the OEM latches on my wife's 2013 Sahara with a set of Rampage locking latches. After about a year, one of them stuck in the unlocked position. Fortunately, it still latched but would no longer lock. I learned that Rampage customer service is non-existent after they have your money so I eventually tossed those Samsonite luggage-looking things in the trash and installed a set of JL latches. They are available in either locking or non-locking versions, although I chose the non-locking ones. No hood flutter.
Same here. I finally got around to replacing the OEM latches on my 14 JKU with JL latches about a month ago. Hood flutter is gone. And they are cheaper than the Rugged Ridge latches.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had no flutter on my JK and incredible flutter on my JKU. I removed the hook latch and it all went away.

And yes, I am for no particular reason, worried about removing that.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
It's definitely worth mentioning here that my hook latch was a bit corroded so it didn't move freely and probably wasn't doing anything of value. If my side latches had let go it wasn't going to provide any sort of backup.
I worked it back and forth while dripping a bit of oil into the hinge and spring and now it's good again.

I highly recommend everyone look at theirs and make sure it moves freely and springs into it's proper position without any effort.

1221 - 1238 of 1238 Posts