Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1281 - 1300 of 1310 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
I was thinking about getting Daystars for my JK, but after looking at my Dad's TJ which has had them for a few years I'm not so sure.

How long have those been on there?

I have had mine for a couple of years and they still look new.

·
Registered
268 Posts
How long have those been on there?

I have had mine for a couple of years and they still look new.
Like I said, I few years, I'd have to look it up. Not many miles, my Dad only drives his Jeep in the summer, has a GMC for a daily. However, these should last the life of the vehicle. I think this is completely unacceptable.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks! Using those part numbers I found them at moparwholesaleparts.com for a total of $68.02 including shipping. Ordered them and they are on their way!
It looks like those parts don’t come with the nuts. Looking at the exploded view of parts on the mopar wholesale parts website it appears item 22 and 23 are the nuts for the latches. Did anyone order the nuts seperateely or did they come with the latch and catch parts?

Edit: never mind, figured out you can reuse the old hardware.

·
Registered
2017 JKUHR
81 Posts
Wow and you were lucky nobody was hurt and you did not have a wreck. Have not had hood flutter with my 2017 JKUHR. Did have it on my 2009 JK. But no damage. It went up about an inch, wiggled and went back down. It scared me, but did not happen again. It happened when I was driving into strong, gusting winds.

Thanks for sharing. Your experience is motivating me to change out my hood latches asap.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Like I said, I few years, I'd have to look it up. Not many miles, my Dad only drives his Jeep in the summer, has a GMC for a daily. However, these should last the life of the vehicle. I think this is completely unacceptable.
Shortly before all this came up, I had ordered the Daystar straps for both my '03 Rubicon and '17 Chief. When I went to put them on the '03, the existing latches were so sun damaged, I scrapped them and put the Rugged Ridge latches on both vehicles. I passed the Daystars for the JK on to another member. The Rugged Ridge latches have been on both vehicles now for almost 3 years and still look great.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did the JK latches replacement with the factory JL latches. It turned out great! No more hood flutter.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Stupid question, my original OEM hood latches are still in good shape, would anyone buy them or are they basically throwaways? I've sold a lot of parts that I took off my JKU, like the antenna, running boards, wheels/tires, headlight assemblies, etc.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
I don't know of any knowledgeable JK/JKU owner who would buy them. They are basically throwaways. I put mine in the RR box and put on the shelf in case there was an issue with the RR latches. I've had no issues, so when I come across that box again it will go in the bin.

Reactions: 2014 JKU

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't know of any knowledgeable JK/JKU owner who would buy them. They are basically throwaways. I put mine in the RR box and put on the shelf in case there was an issue with the RR latches. I've had no issues, so when I come across that box again it will go in the bin.
Same here. Time to throw some things away and my old latches will be one of the first to go. Replaced mine a year or so ago with Mopar JL latches.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Stupid question, my original OEM hood latches are still in good shape, would anyone buy them or are they basically throwaways? I've sold a lot of parts that I took off my JKU, like the antenna, running boards, wheels/tires, headlight assemblies, etc.
What would you use as a selling point?
"I replaced these as a lot of information points towards eventual and likely failure of them, but they should be fine for you"?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
What would you use as a selling point?
"I replaced these as a lot of information points towards eventual and likely failure of them, but they should be fine for you"?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I have no hood flutter, just replacing for looks and to not have future problems. If someone bought my 1.5 candlepower OEM headlights, maybe someone would buy these...

Not a big deal, I'll keep them in my spare parts box when I install my metal latches. No biggie.

Couldn't sell my OEM taillights, apparently you can buy LED ones for $30 now on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have no hood flutter, just replacing for looks and to not have future problems. If someone bought my 1.5 candlepower OEM headlights, maybe someone would buy these...

Not a big deal, I'll keep them in my spare parts box when I install my metal latches. No biggie.

Couldn't sell my OEM taillights, apparently you can buy LED ones for $30 now on Amazon.
I'd buy them if I was local. Not for much, but once you put the daystars on the oem hood latches are fine and fade at the same rate the door handles do anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After reading these posts every time I drove on the interstate in the wind I was paranoid, so I bought a pair of Chinese hood latches off Amazon. Seem ok, we'll see how they work soon.
20210312_155001.jpg

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
Yep, file 13.

Reactions: CRF450R

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
I tossed my OEM lateches in my parts box, not sure why. They will NEVER go back on and I wouldn't feel right about selling them or even giving them away. One of these days, when I clean out the parts box, they will get put in File 13 when they belong.

·
Registered
2009 JK Sport tweaked a bit.
297 Posts
What are the better latches to use to replace the OEM. I bough ones in amazon and they constantly come one knotch off.
I have been using the Drake hood latches for 5+ years with zero issues. The only thing I do is top replace the turnbuckles every year since they fade (I uses black one).

·
Registered
12 Posts

Yeah, looks liek im going to have to make the switch. Im using these

·
Registered
2009 JK Sport tweaked a bit.
297 Posts
Yeah, looks liek im going to have to make the switch. Im using these
Make the switch, keep that hood tamped down tight. Added bonus, most people are clueless on how to unlatch them, added "security" bonus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Make the switch, keep that hood tamped down tight. Added bonus, most people are clueless on how to unlatch them, added "security" bonus.
Good to know. THe other day i noticed one of latches was opnen. I live in a close community, so it must have been a kid. I like the idea of added security.

1281 - 1300 of 1310 Posts