Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1301 - 1310 of 1310 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
I have the real Rugged Ridge. There are some knock offs on Amazon. I've had them on now for over 3 years and no complaints. They also look good.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for responding and sharing your thoughts. What is the point of a warranty then?
I think that the more serious charge is preventing a fatality in the future and contacting multiple people in upper management - and not having a single positive reaction. Should they not be alarmed and thank this concerned citizen --then issue a SAFETY RECALL? I believe this was precedented in a Ford Pinto case, where FORD knew of the hazards and later a 17 year old kid died in an accident that was caused by known safety issues. The company was sued but that doesn't bring that young man back.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I agree. Jeep should have a recall on all rubber hold downs.
Even with a Bolt or Mopar hood lock the flutter might not be evident but it seems the latch itself isn’t strong enough in concert with the rubber hold downs.
I installed a Mopar lock and then saw the flutter, so I installed the JL hold downs. I hope this combo is strong enough to prevent my hood ever coming unlatched when driving.

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
I think that the more serious charge is preventing a fatality in the future and contacting multiple people in upper management - and not having a single positive reaction. Should they not be alarmed and thank this concerned citizen --then issue a SAFETY RECALL? I believe this was precedented in a Ford Pinto case, where FORD knew of the hazards and later a 17 year old kid died in an accident that was caused by known safety issues. The company was sued but that doesn't bring that young man back.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
But, the owners of the Pintos did not have the option of simply replacing the fuel tank in a better location. Jeep Wrangler owners do have the option of replacing the hood latches with a wide variety of aftermarket latches for a nominal amount. I had replaced mine on the TJ before the issue was raised about them on the JKs, simply because of oxidation over the 11 years before I bought it.

The JL latches (all four parts) can be acquired for anywhere from $40 to $80 depending on whether you go with aftermarket or Mopar. Then about an hour of time and it's done. I know of there cases (2 US 1 Canada) of bilateral failure and 1 case (US) of single side failure on the highway. Scary and property damage, but no injuries much less fatalities.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
/\ This (and I owned a Pinto). The Daystar latches for dirt cheap, a few minutes of your time, and the problem disappears, and you can get on with your life.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It is relatively inexpensive to fix, but should not be a post purchase issue.
I never experienced the issue until I was driving down a two lane road and came head on with an 18 wheeler. It was in the middle of nowhere. Bad place to have a hood come up and then crash your Jeep. Sometimes car manufacturers cut corners a little too much.

·
Retired Moderator
100,754 Posts
/\ This (and I owned a Pinto). The Daystar latches for dirt cheap, a few minutes of your time, and the problem disappears, and you can get on with your life.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
X2..No hood flutter..

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
With well over 2 million JKs produced if the rubber tie downs were a safety issue there would have been a recall ... there is a secondary safety latch that will stop the hood from flying up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Not to stoke the fire, but the issue on some is that the safety catch only has a small overlap of the sheet metal hook on the sheet metal radiator support. With a strong wind force that snaps the rubber centers of the latches, the force rips the hook right through the radiator support and the hood flies up. As i mentioned earlier, there are 3 cases of this occurring earlier in this thread. Go back reread post 1 and look at the photos.

1301 - 1310 of 1310 Posts