Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and Wranglers. Bought a used 2008 JK and first trip down the road, a semi went why and it looked like the hood was ready to blow open! Is this a normal deal on Wranglers with the rubber hood latches? Kinda getting used to it a bit now, but was wondering, is this a normal deal and nothing to worry about??

·
Registered
986 Posts
Sadly, yes.

There are three ways to fix it.

1: get a behind the grill center mounted hood lock

2: replace the rubber hood latches with steel ones (plain or locking)

3: add heat venting louvers to the hood. The holes cut to reduce engine temperature will also eliminate the hood's pressure differential while driving.

Reactions: SOCALGAL

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Heat venting louvers don't necessarily make a difference. I've got a powerdome hood and mine flutters like the rest of them. Maybe if I made the opening underneath bigger it would help but as it is, it doesn't prevent it.

Up until a few months ago my standard response would have been to just ignore it. It's a thing that happens but isn't a problem that needs solving.

A few months ago there was a thread here though where a latch actually snapped. It's the only incidence here I've ever heard, but I can't say now that it's never been a problem. It was definitely a problem once.

Someone makes replacements for the rubber bits that are made of urethane or something stiffer. That's a cheap solution too.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'll third the Daystar Wranglers. Relatively easy to install and are much tighter than the factory latches.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
393 Posts
Cheap option - cut a strip of Velcro, insert it behind the latch, pull it through the top and bottom, and tighten in front. It will shudder just a bit when you pass, or get passed by a large truck, but it will hold them in place and can be released when needing access to the engine compartment...

·
Registered
102 Posts
I put those Daystar Hood latches on my '08 and they work great. My original rubber latches were shot. Just follow the instructions and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to say "Thanks" to those who gave suggestions for replacement hood latches. Just put a set of Daystar replacements hold downs on the Jeep and what a difference!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had the same problem so I took everyone's suggestion in another discussion on this and removed my hood spring. Thats all it took to fix mine and it was free! Who needs a hood spring anyway...

·
Registered
644 Posts
I had the same problem so I took everyone's suggestion in another discussion on this and removed my hood spring. Thats all it took to fix mine and it was free! Who needs a hood spring anyway...
Isn't the hood spring there to apply upward pressure to keep the hood tight and prevent vibration and flutter (by keeping tension in the latches)? Removing it seems exactly the opposite of what you'd want. But hey, if it works, I can't knock it.

As a funny story, one day I was working on my steering column for my mustang. When I started putting the wheel back on thought, why do I need this spring? (its a single stud+nut design. 66 mustang). So I left it off. On the drive to work I discovered it's use. It puts positive tension on the nut to keep it from backing off with each left turn. the wheel basically fell off in my lap and also broke the plastic arm for the turn signal cancel mechanism in the column. Now I have to replace that which includes fishing out all the wiring down the length of the column to where it plugs in under the dash cause there is not enough room to just splice a new one on. You live and then you learn.... to put all the pieces back in. >.<

·
Registered
314 Posts
Another yes for the Daystar kit. I ordered them the same weekend I picked up my '17 Jeep from experience with my '12. I hit the stops a couple of times on the highway and thought the hood was coming up. The Daystar kit fixed it for cheap.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If you're on the road and want a quick fix, I have run zip ties through the latches and tightened it up that way. Then you can change the latches later.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
My hood was not fluttering, but I replaced my hood latches anyway with the Rugged Ridge hood catches because I just really like the look over the stock rubber hood catches. They are very well made and the hood never budges.

I think these ^ look the best of the lot.

The new JL Wrangler has finally fixed it from the factory and has put on metal hood latches. Unsure if they're locking though.

Reactions: chode
1 - 20 of 48 Posts