Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was driving to work on a two lane highway. It was kind of windy and when I passed a semi truck going the other direction, I thought my hood was going to fly open.
The gust from the truck pulled the hood up, stretching the rubber latches. I'd say it went up about an inch. It freaked me out! Anyone else have this happen?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah, mine does that. I heard they put on stiffer hood strap latches on the 09's. Some guys were buying the 09 latches and replacing them on the 07's and 08's.

·
The Bad Guy
23,266 Posts
Yeah, no big deal, it won't fly up and it didn't move as much as you thought it did.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Archie McPhee said:
So today I was driving to work on a two lane highway. It was kind of windy and when I passed a semi truck going the other direction, I thought my hood was going to fly open.
The gust from the truck pulled the hood up, stretching the rubber latches. I'd say it went up about an inch. It freaked me out! Anyone else have this happen?
Take the spring out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
JK Hood Lift

This was the first forum topic I went looking for to see if anyone had a solution to the hood wanting to leave the vehicle due to high wind and/or oncoming trucks. After sustained winds of 40-50 with gusts of 65+ today, and forecast for another round of the same for tomorrow in SD, I didn't feel too good after seeing and hearing the hood lift up and slam down when I encountered these headwinds/crosswinds. I thought it was scary enough, as other members mentioned, when oncoming big trucks caused the hood to lift, but that was nothing compared to these kind of winds.

I see that replacing the OEM dogbone latches with "Daystar" has been recommended, but where can I locate these? I wish i knew about the problem and possible solution before tit happened.

LoneRider

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
LoneRider said:
This was the first forum topic I went looking for to see if anyone had a solution to the hood wanting to leave the vehicle due to high wind and/or oncoming trucks. After sustained winds of 40-50 with gusts of 65+ today, and forecast for another round of the same for tomorrow in SD, I didn't feel too good after seeing and hearing the hood lift up and slam down when I encountered these headwinds/crosswinds. I thought it was scary enough, as other members mentioned, when oncoming big trucks caused the hood to lift, but that was nothing compared to these kind of winds.

I see that replacing the OEM dogbone latches with "Daystar" has been recommended, but where can I locate these? I wish i knew about the problem and possible solution before tit happened.

LoneRider
You could just take the spring out, it takes 2 seconds and you can spend that 100 bucks on beer or something

·
Registered
61 Posts
From Ruk,
"

DESCRIPTION: You are purchasing a a brand new Hood Latch Kit. Stop the hood flutter! These Hood Kits are a hood latch upgrade for the 2007 and Newer Jeep Wrangler JK. The stock hood latches utilize a weak and stretch-prone rubber that allows the hood to shake and flutter at speed. The result is often unsettling, especially when passing an 18-wheeler going the other direction! A suspension lift only aggravates the problem by allowing more air to push up on the underside of the hood.

The Hood Wranglers are a direct replacement for the factory rubber used in the hood latch. Constructed of a heavy-duty polyurethane material, Hood Wranglers provide a more positive lock that keeps the hood securely shut regardless of vehicle speed. They utilize most of the factory hood latch components, so the upgrade looks factory once complete. Hood Wranglers are an inexpensive fix to an annoying problem!"

Sound familiar.... EBAY... $30

·
Registered
685 Posts
Daystar Hood Wranglers

Just installed. Easy install. So far looks great. Will try out Friday when I drive three hours home from work. I will post before and after video of flutter.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I noticed it when I first got my Rubicon, especially when a semi would pass me in the opposite direction. I also wasn't keen on someone being able to walk up and pop open the hood, so I installed the Mopar hood lock. They are nice because they match the lock to your ignition key, so it is one less key on your key-ring (I have far too many). It is heavy-duty, and comes from the factory in Europe. It gave me the added benefit of preventing the hood lift you are talking about because it latches right in the center of the hood. I didn't read a lot of positive reviews about hood locks from other manufacturers, though, so I would stick to the Mopar. It is a very straight-forward install, takes about 30-minutes to do.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.