Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across an interesting article today. Apparently, the 2015 JK Sport was the cheapest 2015 model to insure. For 2016, the Honda Odyssey took its place, but the JK is still surprisingly cheap.

Here is the article: Forbes Welcome

In fact, 3 Jeep vehicles made the top ten list.

I am surprised by this because the Wrangler is not the cheapest of vehicles out there, and 2-door vehicles tend to have higher rates than 4-door vehicles. That being said, I am not sure why the Wrangler would have the cheapest insurance (not that I am complaining). I would think a cheap 4-door sedan that is more family oriented would have cheaper insurance. Also I am surprised that the whole "Jeeps tend to roll over" stigma doesn't seem to affect rates, although I am well aware that this is a misconception for newer Jeeps and only really apply to CJs.

Now the article does specifically say "base 2-door Sport model." I am thinking maybe the lack of electronics on this particular model (no power windows/locks, etc.) reduces the costs of repairs, so if someone destroys the door for example, there are less expensive items that need to be replaced. In addition, the fact that the doors/top are removable could simplify repairs to those areas. I'd imagine for serious accidents, the body-on-frame design would also simply more complicated repairs. Of course, none of this explains why there are 2 other Jeep models in the top 10.

What do you think?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not surprised, insurance for my 2015 JKUR is a good bit cheaper than my wife's 2010 Honda Fit, same amount of coverage.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
I believe it. I traded in my 2003 Toyota Tacoma for my 2013 JK Unlimited which was 6 months old at the time and my insurance actually went down about $50 or so for the exact same coverage. I have no idea why a 10 year old truck cost more to insure than a new Jeep that cost $10,000 more than the truck did when it was new!

·
Registered
19 Posts
My insurance went down about $50 per month going from an '08 Mustang to my 2016 Wrangler. Insurance agent said one of the reasons is that (besides sports cars just having a higher accident/injury rate overall) Jeeps are cheaper to repair than most vehicles. Sounds good to me.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Safety systems; ABS, traction control, stability control, rollover, theft deterrent system, air bags, roll bar, TPMS etc..
Crash ratings, etc..

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Safety systems; ABS, traction control, stability control, rollover, theft deterrent system, air bags, roll bar, TPMS etc..
Crash ratings, etc..
Well this article was comparing to other new vehicles which would have those same features.

·
Most Interesting
750 Posts
I know this all too well! I recently parted with my 2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker which was SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive than my JKU. In comparison, I had minimal coverage on the Challenger, a 2500.00 deductible on both comp and collision and it was still more than my JKU with 0 comp deductible and 500 collision and MORE coverage.

·
Registered
625 Posts
A lot of it has to do with how much damage the vehicle endures in a typical wreck and the cost to fix. How many times do we see pics on here where a Wrangler gets rear ended and there is very little damage to the Wrangler but the other vehicle looks like it might be totaled. Also, Wrangler parts are relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You aren't kidding my 94 F150 with out collision in MA is only 20 dollars cheaper then a new JK with collision and its $125 cheaper then my 02 Mach 1 Mustang. I was just looking into this and thinking about buying one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have to renew my insurance this month with Geico. Insurance premium went up to 490.030 from 448.20 for 6 months, full coverage with $750 deductible.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I believe it. I traded in my 2003 Toyota Tacoma for my 2013 JK Unlimited which was 6 months old at the time and my insurance actually went down about $50 or so for the exact same coverage. I have no idea why a 10 year old truck cost more to insure than a new Jeep that cost $10,000 more than the truck did when it was new!
I was told that as a car gets older, it gets difficult to find parts for the repairs. Thats why old cars may be still expensive so insure.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I was told that as a car gets older, it gets difficult to find parts for the repairs. Thats why old cars may be still expensive so insure.

I sorta doubt that, especially with Toyota. A friend has a late 60s FJ40 he's slowly fixing up and he got OEM brake lines for it. Not generic stuff, but like pre-bent with fittings and all. Toyota is the exception to the rule though. Insurance is super complex. They're looking at things like how often the model is involved in claims (Tacoma is a popular young guy rig and young guys are good at crashing) and countless other things. The Wrangler is old school and pretty easy to repair compared to other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
My jeep is much cheaper than my wife's 4-yr old Sorento, even though my 2016 Rubicon is worth twice as much.

·
Registered
424 Posts
In 2014 I bought a brand new JKU. When I called my insurance company to switch over coverage from my old 2006 Honda Civic the premium went from 148/month to $102/month. I was shocked since I was expecting to pay more. I questioned the agent and she said they just don't get many claims with these wranglers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts