Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got excited after buying a 2007 JK unlimited x. It rained in Az, took this thing mudding. After that I swear tons of issues. Either I bought a lemon or I messed things up. The main issue that is most likely related to mudding is abs, traction (little swerve car,) and esp bas lights are all on. Codes are related to cruise control (which also hasnt worked.) P0581 and P0585 are what I am getting now. More might show up (I tried cleaning and found a cord disconnected which erased the codes for a few seconds.) I followed the black cord from the drivers side tire and found it disconnected. I tried cleaning both connections out with electric cleaner (still pretty dirty from red clay/sedona dirt since they were disconnected,) but a no go. My lights in my flares now work on the side lol (even though they dont blink, not sure if that is normal.) This dirt is very hard to clean. Abs, esp bal and traction are still on. Any suggestions? Thank you........Also sometimes the catalytic dirty code comes on but doesnt stay, or will clear and not come on for at least 500+ miles which is weird.

3inch lift so I am told metal cloak, and it had 33inch tires, 285/75/16

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
When the side marker lights first came on vehicles in the late '60s, they did not also act as repeater flasher for the front turn signals. I believe that occurred sometime in the '70s. Specifically on the Jeeps, I know they acted as repeaters on the Wranglers up through 2006 (my 2003 TJ side markers act act repeaters of the turn signals). However, the most modern Wrangers do not. I know that they do not act that way on the 2017 JKs. While I had a 2015, I never noticed whether the side markers flashed or not.

·
Registered
844 Posts
This is my Subaru rear wheel well after a "business trip" to the country side.
I had "all lights" up including transmission temperature, vehicle was literally glued by mud and couldn't move faster than 25 mph, it took several hours to clean it
For the record I wasn't doing anything on purpose (wheeling, mudding) just following the "road".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
ABS & Traction Control

ABS, Traction Control and loss of cruise is usually a wheel speed sensor. Check connections. If all connections are good, then it could be a bad sensor. OBD 2 reader that has ABS will tell you for sure. Just dealt with the same issue myself, minus the mud. If it is a speed sensor I bought the Crown automotive replacement not the Mopar. I can buy 4 of those before 1 Mopar. lol.. Rumor has it Crown buys up new old stock from Mopar and just puts their label on them. Idk if that's true or not. Mine has been working for 2 whole weeks now with no issues. I changed the left rear, took about 20 minutes.

Good Luck

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'm not surprised.

People may have higher expectations in terms of abusability of Wrangler than from a regular car, but that really only applies to a few things like the suspension. Everything else is using the same exact technology like on every other vehicle.

Seeing these Jeeps going through deep mud and water can be fun, but we have to respect and understand the limitations and negative consequences.

In other words and mildly speaking, if it is your daily driver and only means of transportation, then it may be best to stay away from the deep wet stuff.

·
Registered
440 Posts
LOL. At some point every Jeep owner does the yahoo mud thing and suffers the consequences. The ABS/traction control issue you’re experiencing is a common one. Your wheel sensors are screwed up because of the mud. You can try to clean them and see if that solves the problem. You May need to replace some or all of the sensors.

My mud foray resulted in a radiator clogged with mud, leading to two fried electric fans before I realized the problem. No more mud for me. 🤣

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ya pretty much what everyone said the mud did a number on the sensors

Before you replace them try pulling the wheels off and washing all the mud off the sensors and tone rings to see if that will clear it up

If not then you may need to replace them

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea not really looking for a lecture here, I went through the mud and I will do it again. The jeep drives just fine. I actually might have fixed the problem but if the lights come on again I wheel check the wheel sensors. Thank you to those who responded correctly lol, which was almost all of you. I followed one of the two wires from the wheel and found a disconnect. The jeeps old so I figured some things would happen. I just dont like looking at the damn lights with my OCD. I also did the wheel thing, turn all the way to the right and left. I am not sure which one worked, The wheel thing only mentioned clearing one of the lights but all 3 are gone. They also didnt clear right away. They also, sorry, came on for a split second yesterday, but then disappeared again. The catalytic code seems to have cleared as well on its own. I went ahead and used catacleaner again.

The only issue is trying to figure out how to get cruise control to work, not a big deal but it would be nice. I looked into it and that also might be a wheel sensor ordeal. Or I will have to find the wiring and trying cleaning it better. The only thing that gets off this mud is hand wiping. That is the price I pay, still worth every penny!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for the side markers not blinking, I will take that as normal. Those also came on after finding the disconnection. They are bushwacker flat fenders.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Might not be worth every penny after you start needing to replace things like bearings, joints and other far more expensive things.

Mud is an abrasive slurry that you can rarely clean all of, screws up parts, traps moisture/causes corrosion and messes things up. Just my opinion...your ride, do what you like.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
invest in a good gas pressure washer if your going to do a lot of muddling.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mud can make it's way in to coat the ABS sensors and the tone ring. Spraying the heck out of everything you can see behind the wheels multiple times sometimes gets everything working for me. I'm talking several hours spraying everything under the Jeep. Sometimes it doesn't. I pulled the rear sensors out this past week and they were both covered with dried mud. Cleaned and still have lights on. Still working.

·
Premium Member
3,634 Posts
^ this. Very likely a wheel sensor issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts