Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

Looking to build a '21 Jeep Wrangler JL 2Dr. Rubicon.

The first observation I noticed was the massive upcharge/price difference btw my '17 2DR Sahara & the new preliminary build: '21 Rubicon. Holy smokes the price difference is staggering! I know, I know, I'm going from a Sahara to a Rubicon. If a 2DR Sahara was available, I'd go with that. Wife wants/requires: Body color Top and Fenders. Note that some options can't be piece mealed. Some options require a bundle, this is why the Rubicon makes the most sense.

1. Reviewing my 2017 2Dr Sahara build sheet, the final MSRP was $36,900 (Base Price MSRP was: $30,445); Options: Smkg Grp; 5Spd Auto; Trac-Lok; HFS; HT Body Color; Alpine, Destination $1095).

2. 2021 Preliminary 2Dr. Rubicon Build: MSRP: $52,975 (Base Price MSRP:: $38,695); Options: Paint; Body Color Flares; Blk Wheels; M/T Tires; HT Body Color; U-Connect 8.4 w/Alpine; Remote Start w/Keyless Entry; LED Lighting Group; Cold Weather Pkg; 3.6L V6 w/eTorque Engine; 8Spd Auto; Full Time 4:1 Rock-Trac HD 4Wheel Drive System; Destination: $1495).

Here is where I need some input/recommendations/thoughts (Vehicle will not be driven off-road; hence, M/T tires instead of Off-Road tires). This will be my wife's DD).

A) Is Full Time 4 Wheel Drive necessary?
B) 3.6 L V6 w/eTorque over 2.0 Turbo - Would most of you agree? Not sure I'm crazy about a 4 banger in a Jeep. Reliability concerns w/Turbo engine.
C) My '17 Sahara has LED lights at no charge from factory. The 2021 Rubicon charges $1295 for LED Headlights. Am I missing something here? LED used to be free on most Wranglers in 2017, now it costs $1295???

Your thoughts/input/recommendations/arguments are welcome.

TYIA/Cheers,

B

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just received my '21 JLUR in mid-Sept and I know what you're going thru. The pricing for some options are crazy! Consider upgrading some items, like the LED head lights, yourself. There's YouTube videos on just about anything for the JLs. To answer your questions as best I can, here goes. A) No, part time is perfect. B) Many reviews favor the 2.0 over the 3.6. You should watch some and see which one will fit your needs best. C) I ordered mine with the LEDs, but it's definitely painful. Don't forget the Tread Lightly membership and its great discount. Good Luck!

·
Registered
729 Posts
Wife's daily driver and your going to hose her with Mud Terrains? Dude............get her some KO2's so she doesn't have to listen to a howl on her commute. As for the rant on it being more expensive, yes, yes it is. I used to buy gas for 75 cents, cigs(long since quit) for less than a buck, and my first house was 20k. Such is life, crap goes up.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Wife's daily driver and your going to hose her with Mud Terrains? Dude............get her some KO2's so she doesn't have to listen to a howl on her commute. As for the rant on it being more expensive, yes, yes it is. I used to buy gas for 75 cents, cigs(long since quit) for less than a buck, and my first house was 20k. Such is life, crap goes up.
holy crap!!! as someone who's living in SoCal and trying to buy a house im insanely jealous!!! i was born in the wrong era :(

·
Super Moderator
9,537 Posts
OP: Ugh, don't even get me started. FCA's greed and indifference towards customers know no bounds.

Half the things we have to pay "extra" on a JL are standard on most other vehicles costing the same. The only reason they do it is because they can get away with it. And after you spend $55,000 or $60,000, most FCA dealers will still treat you as if you just bought a 30-year old K-car.

If Wranglers weren't so addictive, I'd be long gone by now.

·
Super Moderator
9,537 Posts
I agree with the post above on tires. Put the KO2s on her car. Also, factory LEDs are terrific and worth every penny.
I agree. The key word being factory.

The same Mopar LEDs are not such a good deal when bought as aftermarket accessories. You pay almost the same as the entire LED group, but you get only the headlamps.

PS - I got to use the high beams on the freeway the other night for the first time...WOW! I even saw two deer mating by the culvert out in the pitch dark... To think everything I’ve been missing all this time! LOL

·
Registered
729 Posts
I agree. The key word being factory.

The same Mopar LEDs are not such a good deal when bought as aftermarket accessories. You pay almost the same as the entire LED group, but you get only the headlamps.

PS - I got to use the high beams on the freeway the other night for the first time...WOW! I even saw two deer mating by the culvert out in the pitch dark... To think everything I’ve been missing all this time! LOL
Watching deer hump........never knew that was an advantage for LED lights. :p

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
For a wifes city DD she doesn't need a Rubicon. Get a Sport JL with 3.6 and auto and then mod it out. Painted flat fenders, rims & tires, leather seat covers, and anything else she wants. The painted roof is a tough one. Have the Rubicon decals put on the hood. Or just pay up. A plain F150 is not a Raptor.

Reactions: BenDiem
1 - 11 of 11 Posts