Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a former CJ,YJ,TJ owner who now has a 4 door JKU Sahara. So i thought? Can some one point me in the right direction as to the meaning of all these newer letters? I have no idea what a JL is? Explain to this old Rookie would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
JK = Wranglers produced from 2007 - mid 2018
JL = most recent version of the Wrangler produced from mid 2018 - Current
JT - The current Jeep Gladiator truck

Have a nice day

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
Jeep has always used a two letter (plus on ocassion a number) to designate their production platforms. This of course started with the classic CJ numbered from 1 to about 10. Yes, there was a CJ1, of which only the prototype was built using some modified and actual MB parts. After the evaluation they sold it to an employee and it is apparently lost to history.

Because of the adverse publicity on the CJ5, when the time came for a new platform, they used YJ. Because they could not use "Wrangler" for marketing in Canada because that TM was already in use, Canadian Jeeps were actually marketed and marked YJ. There is an example on a TFL YouTube video in which a 1995 Canadian YJ is compared to the 2015 Wrangler JKU Rubicon.

The two letter ID is not limited to the CJ/Wrangler line. The classic '84-2001 Cherokee was the XJ for example. There has been a "U" tacked onto the two letters for the Unlimited Wranglers. While the industry refers to the 2004-2006 Wrangler Unlimited as the LJ (Long Jeep) that is not an internal Jeep reference. Not sure if JKU and JLU is or not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts