Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I went to start my jeep the other day and the key wouldn't turn. I kept turning the wheel and checking the shifter. Nothing worked so got aggravated and drove the old lady's minivan(very unmanly) came back later that day and it turned right away. Any ideas?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Only thing that pops into my head is the Jeep was in the wrong gear or the steering wheel was locked.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was in park but for some reason my steering wheel doesn't lock. I can turn my wheel even when the jeep is off. But it's been like that ever since I bought it a year ago.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
It does seem like a shift interlock issue. Like it's not detecting that it's in part. No amount of giggling while turning the key works?

There is no steering wheel lock on the JK (or at least the later models).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do you have one of the keys with the grey rubber at the top? It has a chip in it that has to be near the ignition for the car to start.

Maybe that chip got damaged resulting in the car being unable to start.

Learned this when I went and got my girlfriends car key cut for here dodge neon, same kind of key. Got one without the chip, key would fit, open the doors, go in the ignition, but not start the car.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
It does seem like a shift interlock issue. Like it's not detecting that it's in part. No amount of giggling while turning the key works?

There is no steering wheel lock on the JK (or at least the later models).
park and jiggling* :rofl:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Do you have one of the keys with the grey rubber at the top? It has a chip in it that has to be near the ignition for the car to start.

Maybe that chip got damaged resulting in the car being unable to start.

Learned this when I went and got my girlfriends car key cut for here dodge neon, same kind of key. Got one without the chip, key would fit, open the doors, go in the ignition, but not start the car.
That's not it...the key would still turn the vehicle just wouldn't start if the chip was bad.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I have two keys that I have used multiple times and they both work. It hasn't happened to me since but I am worried it may happen one time when I am out on a trail or in town. I was thinking it had to be it not sensing the jeep was in park. I don't know just have to keep on jeeping and hope for the best I guess!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts